Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Season (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone else leary... (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416)

bullmoose38 02-04-2008 01:35 PM

Anyone else leary...

when booking a hunt?

bowhunter9797 02-04-2008 01:45 PM

Of course you might be. Spending all that money on a trip that might not be what you were expecting.

youngbuck83 02-04-2008 05:45 PM

I wouldn't say leary, but I hate to think of putting out that much $$$ and maybe coming home empty-handed...but it's always a possibility.

Monie 02-04-2008 07:05 PM

Yep...afraid of being taken. That's why reserch is extremely important!

TLC 02-04-2008 09:25 PM

always ask for references. especially those who didn't get a critter. they can tell you whether or not the outfitter did everything they could to get you your animal. and also remember that booking an outfitter does not guarantee that you will get anything. all they do is up the odds in your favor. or thats what they are supposed to do.

try to get the name of the site that lists outfitters and their rankings and post it here for everyone. or, if you know the name, post it and I can check with my people. just like H&R Block, I have people......;)

firediver 02-04-2008 09:55 PM

I booked a fall Ontario bear hunt in 2006 and it was a disaster. The outfitter was a lazy piece of scat. 6 of us hunted there and he only had 1 bait for each of us. We saw a total of "1" bear between all of us.

The outfitter made no attempt to increase our chances....different bate site, different strategy, etc.....in fact, we caught him in several lies. LONG STORY

I booked a fall elk hunt in Colorado in 2005 and that outfitter was a joke. Even longer story!!!!!

Both came with good references:mad:

My advice....go through a hunting broker!!! I've been on several hunts through brokers and all have been awesome!!!

TLC 02-04-2008 10:03 PM

Firediver, thats who I booked the last bear hunt thru. Bowhunting Safari Consultants. 800-833-9777. call and they will send you a catalogue. mainly for bowhunters.

bullmoose38 02-05-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firediver (Post 5871)
I booked a fall Ontario bear hunt in 2006 and it was a disaster. The outfitter was a lazy piece of scat. 6 of us hunted there and he only had 1 bait for each of us. We saw a total of "1" bear between all of us.

The outfitter made no attempt to increase our chances....different bate site, different strategy, etc.....in fact, we caught him in several lies. LONG STORY

I booked a fall elk hunt in Colorado in 2005 and that outfitter was a joke. Even longer story!!!!!

Both came with good references:mad:

My advice....go through a hunting broker!!! I've been on several hunts through brokers and all have been awesome!!!

Yeah I always check with the references. But sometimes it makes you wonder if they are distant family or friends. I got burned on a SD turkey hunt couple of years back also. Another long story....

ACPOSSETIM 02-07-2008 10:00 PM

I've had good and bad, got totally taken on an IL whitetail but most experiences have been good, remember as with everything you get what you pay for. Agents are always a good starting point but it's always good to check up on them. It seems all good outfitters book up early though!

oakcreek 02-13-2008 06:04 PM

What kind of info do want to get from a outfitter before booking ?