Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The ACM Hang Out (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need a few prayers please! (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3803)

AF Hunter 11-06-2010 07:01 PM

Need a few prayers please!

Tonight, at 6:00 PM, 3 does came out of the bedding area and crossed the creek onto the neighbors' land. At 6:05 I had an 11 point come out of the bedding area and start down the trail towards me. He stopped 25 - 30 feet out and raised his head to lick a branch. When he did, his eyes locked on mine and he stomped. His body was approximately 20 degrees off line with me so I let the arrow fly. The broadhead entered behind his shoulder at a 45 degree angle but was not a complete pass through, he turned and ran with the arrow still sticking out. As he ran he brushed up against a tree trunk and I watched the arrow bend but it did not fall out. I was advised to leave him for tonight and find him in the morning. Its going to be a very long night!

pbg40g 11-06-2010 09:29 PM

I pray you find him quickly in the am.

Cherokeechass 11-08-2010 08:35 AM

Oh AF, prayers sent! Hurry up and post pics when you find him!!!

AF Hunter 11-08-2010 08:52 AM

after 8 hours of 5 people searching yesterday, all we found was a broken arrow. He still has 13" of shaft and a broadhead in him. The entry was high and angled down at a 40 - 45 deg angle and we didn't find any blood. Although every muscle in my body is hurting today, I'll be back out there re-searching what has already been searched. There is a pasture with 3' tall grass west of where we found the arrow that I'll also be walking today.

Va Hunter 11-08-2010 10:12 AM

Can ya'll use a dog to find a downed deer? Maybe borrow a beagle, leash it ,take it to where you've found blood and see if it'll follow the blood smell?

Hope ya find it soon. I've not found a couple and it's a sickening feeling.

AF Hunter 11-08-2010 03:13 PM

Can't use dogs in Iowa (illegal). I covered every square inch of the farm to the west of me yesterday and today. He's not on my property or the property to the west (where he headed) which means he had to have gone south. Without proof that he went that way, the owner doesn't want me going in and stirring up the other deer.

Bow Drawn 11-09-2010 05:03 PM

Since I really have no idea of what the lay of land is there my only suggestion is that buck went to water. If you have a water source on your property look there. Other than that the birds have found him by now or the yotes. The birds, crows or vultures, would have shown you where it went by now.

AF Hunter 11-09-2010 07:16 PM

already searched all ponds and streams. Now watching for birds and listening for 'yotes.

Carol 11-09-2010 11:02 PM

AF

I hope you find him but it's possible you didn't get vitals if it was 1/4 to you. Also bucks are unbelievable how far they can go. I've been there too so you have my prayers.

HuntnMa 11-11-2010 08:23 AM

continued prayers.......using a dog to search being illegal is unreal....shaking head in disgust.......