Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   SWD - Severe Whitetail Disorders (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Big doings in a tiny State (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3789)

Flintlock1776 10-15-2010 08:35 PM

Big doings in a tiny State

Up in my stand at 5 am as I like to be in real early to let anything I bump settle down. Sure enough, on the way in I did hear some things bound off.

6:15 AM, where did they come from? 2 small does slipped in about 20 yards out. Too dark for my pin sights but still fun to see some activity just as dawn was breaking.

Of they go too far away but I watched the walk away.

About 6:40 I just happened to glance straight ahead and noticed a doe out in the clear cut eating on the browse. Then, I noticed those twigs were not twigs but a good buck. He went slowly into the clear cut, down the hill not to be seen again.

About 7am I was wondering if I had see all the deer I was going to see when suddenly off to my hard left I see some deer!

I got my Hoyt Lazer Tech ready and then settled it down as it was 2 small deer with spots. But off to the left here come the does.

While the small deer walked straight left to right in from of my stand 10 yards out, the big doe started what wound up being a lazy "S" heading out from me but slinking back. Then, one doe stepped into a little gap. I aimed at her at 30 yards, shot, saw the doe kick and start to bolt off. A good "thwak!" and I knew I had a hit and I hoped it was a good one. I saw her run but in 20 yards she piled up! I love it when tracking jobs are that easy! It was 7:11am.

I field dressed her and brought her to the game processor. I donated the meat to the Hunters Feeding the Hungry program and donated more than they requested to help fund the program.The game processor was happy as it was a big doe. Lots of folks, he said, will shoot anything to get the 'earn a buck' tag. He was happy to see this doe as she almost topped out at 100 pounds!

I always like to donate the first deer I get.

Now, I can go out tomorrow if I want. I can't get out tonight as I am on duty. But, no I am free to figure which buck I want to get as there have been some big ones on my property. heck, I may even hold off until the rut in November as that is when I've seen some really big, big deer on my land and only then!

Well that's my story. I think this is the first bow deer I've ever gotten on opening day.

So, I got the Doe on 9.11.10 and 31 days later I got a 4x2 buck the other day.

10 yard shot, arrow went through although I did not find it.

All but 2 deer in my career went straight down, the other two went about 20 yards and down but this buck? Down the freaking hill, across the stream and he started to go up the hill but, thankfully, he expired.

It took me one hour to get up the damp and slippy hill; across the field and off to the processors. I have some bumps and bruises to remember that hard haul.

For some reason this year the Hunters Feeding the Hungry Program did not fill out the quota of donated deer so, in lieu of the small required $10 donation and letting them keep the deer for the needy, I added some money to help the program going. I have until the end of 2/11 so I'll be able to fill my freezer but I thought the needy could use it first.

Season ends late in 2/11. I'll also be in Alabama 1/11.

Could be a good year they way things are starting off