Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   SWD - Severe Whitetail Disorders (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hunting from blind (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3770)

burrhead 10-05-2010 08:26 AM

Hunting from blind

1 Attachment(s)
I have been hunting out of my ground blind trying to get a nice buck I have been watching. I had my Matrix 360 set out and tryed to brush it in as good as possible, but not much to cover it with. It has been out for three weeks and the deer seem to be avoiding it, so I purchased another blind and moved it to a wildflower patch we had planted and spent and hour brushing it in, I thought I did a good job but when I sat in it Sunday night I got picked off by three of the four bucks that came by:mad:, one of them being the one I wanted. He was just over twenty yards away but it was too dark by the time he got there so I couldn't shoot.:( This is a picture of the blind I put in the wildflower patch, of course the sunflowers I put on it wilted in a few hours and it didn't look as good later. Anyone have any suggestions, I don't have alot of options where he is living at right now.

Bow Drawn 10-05-2010 01:38 PM

I'd go cut some tree branches and use them. Pine branches tend to do well because they stay green longer and the odor helps mask out yours. It's the top outline that gives it away. The flowers blend it in for too short a time. You want something more permanent to disrupt the outline of it.

I hope it works for you and you get that buck.

Flintlock1776 10-09-2010 12:07 PM

Wear black clothing inside your blind. Scent spay it when you get ready to go in it. Also, let it sit out there a week or so before you use it. They will get close. I've done it. Good luck.

burrhead 10-12-2010 07:33 AM

Well I've got good news and bad news. Went to my blind again friday evening, it was hot, in the low 90's. there is water right there so I thought it might be good. The deer were coming out and quit a few of them, they must have gotten used to the blind as they did not pay any attention to it. I was ranging deer all night trying to pick out some yardage markers, it was hard to tell yardages in the turnips and radishes. Right before dark the big boy came out, he was walking and looking at the blind but then he looked away and kept walking. I pulled back and stopped him just before he got out of my shooting lane. I thought he was at 45 yards where I ranged some earlier, so I settled my pin and yanked the trigger, yes I said yanked, and watched my arrow fly over his back. I think he had me a little worked up. I did find his tracks at 37 yards the next day looking for my arrow but either way I know I rushed the shot.:( So I will let it rest for a while and try again. I have shot does out of my blind but this is the first time I have had a big boy by the blind, it is alot different than out of a tree. I think I need to get him under a tree.:p

MOvenatic 10-12-2010 05:17 PM

That sucks on that buck.

Something I learned about blinds that seems to make sense to me is how do you leave the blind when you're not there. If you have the windows open when you're in it, you should leave the windows open when you leave it. That way it looks the same all the time when the deer are out there. Another thing is leaving the back open just enough, if possible, so that you scent isn't trapped in the blind and going back out to the deer.

Flintlock1776 10-15-2010 08:33 PM

I just dropped a 4x2 buck the other day. It was the first time I set it up; the buck looked at it and ignored it. I did not ignore him. Me 1; Deer 0

burrhead 10-18-2010 07:24 AM

I was back in the blind Friday night had a few does and a little buck come out in front of me. I figured he would come out right at dark as he normaly does, so I had my bow in hand, release hooked on the loop and my rangefinder in hand, I was ready for him this time but he didn't come out. I started putting my stuff away, had my arrow back in the quiver and bow sitting in bow holder and he comes out right in front of me, less than 20 yards away.:eek: it was a scramble getting an arrow nocked and getting my release on my loop, I stopped him with a bleat while all of this was going on. I finnally drew back and could not see my pins, so let down and watched him feed out in front of me for awhile until he moved off then slipped out. Wind is supposed to right for there tonight so I will give it another shot.

Flintlock1776 10-18-2010 05:00 PM

It takes time to get used to all you have to do hunting in a blind but after a while it will seem easier.