Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Ralph, Vicki & The Posse (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Treestand Height (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3761)

vabowhunter06 09-17-2010 08:36 PM

Treestand Height

What is the best height to be at in your deer stand for deer hunting?

ACPOSSETIM 09-18-2010 01:08 PM

Generally a good rule of thumb is the higher the better but a lot depends on situation and your comfort with heights. The majority of my stands are close to 20 feet, however I've had stands I use for gun season where I'm set off a trail or on a field edge so the deer are at a distance that have been 8-10 feet up. On the other extreme I've got stands in big trees that are 25-30 feet. The biggest thing to take into account when setting your stand is available cover, you can be 30 feet up a tree but if you have no cover (branches/leaves) you will get skylined and any movement will get you picked off or you can also be 10 feet up in a really thick well concealed stand and never get busted. Another thing to think about is shooting lanes. When I pick the tree I'm going to set a stand in, I'll set up my ladder stick or rapid rails and start to climb. As I reach what I think is my desired hunting height I'll start to look at available shooting lanes if nothing is available I may go a little higher or lower to take advantage of openings that are already there so you don't have to trim as much.

oneshot 09-18-2010 07:45 PM

I think it just depends on the area your in. here in southwest Va. we usually don't get over 16-18 feet because of the thick trees.( if you get too high you end up looking through the tops of other trees) When we go west we tend to get a little higher 20-24 because the timber is usually more open. Just remember to have enough cover around to help hide you and your movements. I like to hang in big trees so I have a background to break up my outline.

vabowhunter06 09-19-2010 08:19 PM

thanks for the advise. this is my first year bow hunting and i didn't know what the best height to be at. you 2 have been a great help. good luck this season.

MOvenatic 09-21-2010 01:10 PM

Your pull up rope gives you a good idea how far up you actually are.

MCFantail 09-22-2010 08:11 AM

another thing that you have to think about is the higher you go the greater the shot angle. Most of me bow stands I can only shoot 20yrds or less so if i go to high i will get some pretty steep anlges on the shot making it harder for double lung shot. Food for thought.:D

YorkArcher 09-28-2010 07:52 AM

These guys are right on. It depends on the tree. go as high as the mast will allow you too. Mark 20' on your pull up rope and it will give you an idea how high you are. Make sure you practice from a high spot like a deck on a house.
Shooting down can be tricky!