Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drawn for managed hunt (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3743)

MOvenatic 09-03-2010 01:56 PM

Drawn for managed hunt

In MO, there are a number of managed hunts at Conservation Areas and State Parks that aren't open for deer hunting otherwise. I put in for an early December archery hunt at Columbia Bottom, which at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, and got drawn for that hunt. It's close to the house and there a lot of deer out there. I've hunted there once and came home empty handed, but I hope to lucky this time.

ladybowhntr 09-03-2010 08:51 PM

Good luck to ya!!!!

Deb 09-04-2010 07:40 PM

Congrats and good luck!!

Bow Drawn 09-08-2010 09:29 AM

Good luck, that type of hunt is done here in Ohio too. You would think it would be a good hunt because of no hunting pressure but the folks I've talked to come up empty more often than a freezer full.

Cherokeechass 09-08-2010 11:18 AM

Good luck MOvenatic!!

MOvenatic 09-08-2010 12:53 PM

It's not easy. The area has a lot of people just walking and biking through it too. Not where I'm hunting thank God, but I've had a couple just out for a walk and they ended up walking right underneath my stand. I wanted to say something, but refrained.

Some people walking their dogs, don't have them on a leash, even though they are suppose to, and their dogs end up running deer.

Deb 09-14-2010 08:39 PM

MO, do you have the option to shoot a buck or doe? Do you have to "earn" your buck by shooting a doe first? The one I'm drawn for, I have to shoot a doe first.

MOvenatic 09-21-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb (Post 39209)
MO, do you have the option to shoot a buck or doe? Do you have to "earn" your buck by shooting a doe first? The one I'm drawn for, I have to shoot a doe first.

No, I can take either. I can also take a turkey on my archery turkey tags too.

ladybowhntr 09-21-2010 04:37 PM

How many days do you get to hunt it? Do you get to scout ahead of time?

MOvenatic 09-23-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybowhntr (Post 39280)
How many days do you get to hunt it? Do you get to scout ahead of time?

We've got from Dec. 1-21. We can scout it ahead of time, but not while there is another managed hunt going on. Which I respect. There is usually a few days in between managed hunts that allow for some scouting and putting up stands if you so desire.

I drove through there a few days ago right at dusk and didn't see anything. They were harvesting the corn out there and there were still kernels on the road. I haven't gone walking to the back side yet. Skeeters would be carrying me off.:D