Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Ralph, Vicki & The Posse (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   spitfires (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3588)

Nemoshooter 04-09-2010 12:40 PM

spitfires

Hey, here's a question for y'all. My katera shoots a 400 grain arrow @ 290 fps at 60#'s and 29" draw length. any issues with using spitfires? Just bought a 3 pack and if they shoot well i will buy another 3 pack and some extra blades. As you can see, I have a fair amount of ke out of a 60 pound bow.

firediver 04-09-2010 12:47 PM

I think the only thing having an issue with that setup is the critter on the receiving end!!!! Expect a short blood trail;)

oneshot 04-09-2010 06:15 PM

I was shooting almost the same set up (28 in. draw) two years ago and had no problems. Got pass throughs on all the deer I shot.

youngbuck83 04-13-2010 09:16 AM

I have almost the same setup only my draw is 27in. and I'm shooting 70lbs from my Katera...spitfires do the job!

Bow Drawn 04-13-2010 11:10 AM

I'm shooting a 28" draw at 70# and use the spitfire once. Got a great pass thru on a huge fox squirrel. Exit hole took out the back side. :p It definitely opened up - spitfires Baby!

NCSCOTT68 04-22-2010 11:52 AM

Have shot deer in midwest with similar setup........ thumbs up!

ACM_Ralph 04-29-2010 03:16 PM

SPITFIRES BABY...
I am a BIG believer and have been shooting them forever with excellent results. I even took a good buck on camera at 55 yards with the Spitfire Maxx and even with my short draw length it passed thru him like a hot knife in butter. There is a lot of hype about other heads but give me my Spitfires every time! They don't open on release, they always open, I get pass thru's and blood trails are second to none! And they shoot just like my field points but I really like shooting the practice blades with them, they just seem to pull out of the targets easier. You will love them.

Savannahunter 07-28-2010 01:32 PM

My friend always hunt with Nitrons but decided this year to try out the spitfires.They always open and fly just like field points.The only hassle we had before the hunt was that the spitfire only lasted a few practice rounds before it got buggered which we thought was ok since the packed said only five impact shots.On our hunting trip he shot a Kudu bull with a spitfire and sadly it did not perform as we had hoped it would.It did open on impact and clearly was a heart/long shot but upon hitting the animal it deflected off a rib and came out higher than it went in giving a good double long shot.It also did not leave a good blood trail although the wound was pretty big.We found the bull about 400 yards away where he had expired.Since then we thought it best to stick to something we know that works.

cgshp49 08-01-2010 07:21 AM

I've used several differant types of BH's over the years. I started out (in '88) with some 3-blade disposables (can't remember what they were called), then the 125g Muzzy 4-blade (much success), then tried the Grim Reaper's (they suck, lost 2 deer, 1 really nice buck), then I tried the 100g Muzzy 3-blade (couldn't get em to fly right). After that, I started lookin at mechanicals again. I looked at several types, but most are over the top deploying and I just do not like that type. Too many things can go wrong especially on quartering shots. I've heard too many horror stories about arrow deflection as the blades try to deploy. I finally settled on the 100g Rage 2-blade. I know they aren't what Ralph n Vicki use, but they work great! I tested them by stabbing em through a plastic grocery sack. The blades deployed every time. Awsome entry and exit wounds! Massive blood trails. The first buck I shot with one left a 5-6' wide blood trail, and did not get a pass through. Looked like I hit him with an axe, and cut one of his lungs almost in half! The second was a "bad" hit. Too far back, but, he still only went 80-100yds before he expired. Nothing but good things to say about the Rage!

joelturnbow 08-01-2010 02:44 PM

Sounds like your setup is just fine! I agree with firediver that you are going to have plenty of short blood trails! I shot a nice bear this spring with a spitfire and it was devastating to say the least! I think you made a great choice.