Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   BND - Bear'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   spring bear hunting (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3533)

bear1 02-18-2010 07:21 PM

spring bear hunting

Is everyone getting ready to go spring bear hunting? It seems like forever, but its only 3 months away. Getting new string on the bow now, then I can start shooting.

timba 02-19-2010 08:44 AM

2 months and I'll be out setting up my bait.I got 2 freezers full of meat scraps and filling a barrel of old cooking grease.Picked up and new popcorn machine since I burnt out the wifes making popcorn for bait :(

the season can't get here soon enough

Bow Drawn 02-19-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timba (Post 37596)
2 months and I'll be out setting up my bait.I got 2 freezers full of meat scraps and filling a barrel of old cooking grease.Picked up and new popcorn machine since I burnt out the wifes making popcorn for bait :(

the season can't get here soon enough

The popcorn deal looks like the best thing going. I watched a show the other day that the outfitter used it. Hauling out to the bait sites make it so much easier being that much lighter. Put some cooking grease in with it and that ought to keep the bears coming. The problem is with popcorn is making a 1000 pounds of the stuff takes some time and commercial style equipment. Now if you have a movie theatre near by that makes it everyday you might get the manager to give all of yesterdays popcorn. Bag it in big trash bags and you have bait.

woody 02-19-2010 11:32 AM

Don"t have the funds this year!Next year for sure! Good luck to whos going out.

bear1 02-20-2010 07:23 AM

This year we thought that we would try Saskatchewan, I think the land that we are hunting gets pretty close to Alberta. Going the last week of May, hope that they are up and moving.

timba 02-20-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear1 (Post 37611)
This year we thought that we would try Saskatchewan, I think the land that we are hunting gets pretty close to Alberta. Going the last week of May, hope that they are up and moving.

Were in sask?I hunt bears in sask,I'm going to try either northern part were the father in laws has a cabin or at his farm by Prince Albert.

timba

bear1 02-20-2010 07:50 PM

The town nearest is Buffalo Narrows.

timba 02-21-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear1 (Post 37617)
The town nearest is Buffalo Narrows.

A 100 miles straight east of there is the father in laws cabin were I might go.not much up there but big bears,wolves and moose.

Bow Drawn 02-22-2010 09:54 AM

Looking at the map I hunted with an oufitter that was on the Churchhill river system east of your Buff Narrows. No question they have color phase bears there. We had one 400 pound bear with P&Y head. The rest were 200 plus pounders bears but with average heads. I think everyone saw smaller bears and it seemed like everyone saw color variations like choco., cinamin, and blonde. I did see one killed both times I was there, a nice light chocolate.

mbbowman 03-08-2010 10:04 PM

I am from Manitoba, so I will be hunting Manitoba.