Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Ralph, Vicki & The Posse (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any advice on picking out a bow for a new female hunter? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3482)

KSwayne 01-12-2010 07:36 AM

Any advice on picking out a bow for a new female hunter?

Hey guys!! This season was my first season hunting and I love it! Now I want to get a bow, does anyone have a good suggestion for my first bow? and also how to connect with other female hunters in my area?

ACPOSSETIM 01-12-2010 08:47 AM

Just buy a Vicxen and be done with it !!!!:D Just kidding. First thing you want to do would be go to a GOOD pro shop. Get your draw length measured, and figure out how much weight you are comfortable pulling. In regards to draw weight, you will be able to pull more as you shoot more but don't "overbow" yourself right off the bat. If you buy a bow that is hard for you to pull back it won't be fun and you won't shoot that much. Many companies (Hoyt included) have bows that offer a limb upgrade so you can change weight as you get more comfortable shooting. The next step would be shoot as many as possible and see what one feels best to you. One thing I would strongly recommend it a mechanical release aid (the triggers you see everyone wearing around their wrists.) it makes it much easier to pull the bow back and get a clean release. Once you find the one you like...practice, a lot...you'll be amazed how fun it can be! As far as meeting others, look for 3d-shoots or archery clubs in your area. Most clubs and shoots are more fun oriented than competitive and you'll meet some great people too! Good luck with your search!

Bow Drawn 01-12-2010 09:38 AM

I know I'll be in trouble for saying this but take her to try the Mathews Passion. Then have her compare shooting it to other bows out there.

KSwayne 01-14-2010 11:51 AM

Thank you for the great advice!! I can't wait!!

Smokey 01-14-2010 01:39 PM

As mentioned get to your local pro shot and ask lots of questions, get fitted for a bow and test shoot lots of them. Pick the bow that fits you best and you have the most confidience in shooting. Sure some names are better then others(HOYT) but shoot what fits you best.

TxStarr 01-19-2010 08:25 AM

I ended up with a Parker BuckShot b/c of my short draw length. I love, love, love it!!

I tried several different bows but I loved the weight and the feel of this bow. It is lightweight, has a smaller grip, and has shorter draw length adjustments.

I say: get measured for your draw length and try several different bows and brands. They all shoot. They will all kill. It doesn't matter what brand you choose or what price you pay for your bow, it matters how comfortable you are with your bow and the time you put in practicing.

As for finding other female hunters in your area, I have no clue. I hang out and practice with Will's friends b/c I don't know anyone else who hunts.

Good luck and let us know which bow you choose!

eaglelakes 03-02-2010 09:07 AM

my wife has had 4 bows and just got a vicxen this past season....she would not trade it for anything.....

Bow Drawn 03-02-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglelakes (Post 37735)
my wife has had 4 bows and just got a vicxen this past season....she would not trade it for anything.....

Not even for a dozen new shoes ...... I'm just saying. ;);):rolleyes:

eaglelakes 03-02-2010 01:46 PM

doubt she would....lol