Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What a crazy story for you... (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3383)

firediver 11-10-2009 04:34 PM

What a crazy story for you...

So....Jess Johnson and I had just returned from a week with Illinois Whitetails in Knox County when we decided to head to one of my hunting spots to check the trail cameras. Upon our return, there was a beautiful 2 1/2 year old 9 point laying along side the road that wasn't there when we passed by earlier.

I got out and quickly found an arrow wound so I assumed that a hunter had just taken the buck and it just happened to die alongside the road. Upon further inspection....I discovered that the deer had already been field dress:confused:

There were no tags on the deer but I just assumed that an unlucky hunter had lost their deer out of the back of their truck. I made a quick call to the Sheriff's office to report my find and the dispatcher advised me that a hunter had his deer stolen from a public hunting location about 5 miles to the north. He had pulled his deer to the side of the road and when he returned with his truck...the deer was gone.

An hour later, Jess and I are now headed to a different farm to hunt when I notice a homeowner in the area skinning a deer in his front yard. We weren't sure if it was the same deer but that was basically confirmed when we traveled another 100 yards down the road and saw that the buck was no longer there.

The dispatcher did not get the hunter's information so I started doing some investigation of my own today. I was able to get a hold of someone that works at the public hunting spot where the deer was taken and they are going to pass my contact info on to the unlucky hunter.

I will have him describe his deer to me and if it is the same deer....I will then come up with a plan to get his antlers back if at all possible. In Illinois it is illegal for anyone to take a deer that is found dead that was not taken by legal hunting means. I don't want them to get in trouble because I do know they can definitely use the meat....but I want the guy to at least get his rack back.

Maybe I will send one of the city cops out there and "ask nicely". If that doesn't work, I will forward all information to the DNR.

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD.

timba 11-10-2009 08:29 PM

THat is weird,I don't know why some one would take a deer they never shot

YorkArcher 11-11-2009 07:52 AM

Crazy...Just crazy...

Bow Drawn 11-11-2009 09:29 AM

Weird yes but some what understandable if it was taken to feed someone and sounds like it was taken for that purpose. I'd stick to the law in this situation and get them invloved if you are absolutely positive in identifying this buck. And the hunter can also. Hopefully then the thieves will learn their lesson with out causing you any grief.

firediver 11-11-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bow Drawn (Post 36559)
Weird yes but some what understandable if it was taken to feed someone and sounds like it was taken for that purpose.

It was originally stolen from the successful hunter!!!! I don't think the person that claimed it is the same person that swiped it.

Deer killed
Deer tagged
Deer dragged to road
Deer gone when return with truck
Deer found along roadway (same one?) Matches description
Deer then taken by third party

Hunter has no trophy
Thief has no morals
Poor guy on the edge of town has meat in the freezer

TxStarr 11-17-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firediver (Post 36544)
There were no tags on the deer but I just assumed that an unlucky hunter had lost their deer out of the back of their truck. I made a quick call to the Sheriff's office to report my find and the dispatcher advised me that a hunter had his deer stolen from a public hunting location about 5 miles to the north. He had pulled his deer to the side of the road and when he returned with his truck...the deer was gone.

Are y'all sure the deer was stolen from the hunter? I mean, why would someone steal a deer then leave it on the side of the road? I am thinking the hunter couldn't find his way back to his deer—trust me, we have had to help out of town hunters find their campsite and even where they parked their truck!

Plus, in Texas, no tag would mean a stiff fine even if the deer was stolen from him unless he could show where his license was filled out correctly (assuming the thief removed the tag so the deer wouldn't be identifiable) b/c you are supposed to immediately tag the deer.

firediver 11-17-2009 04:01 PM

1. there is no guarantee the stolen deer and the one I found are the same deer (but I think they are)....

2. the distance from where the deer was stolen and the location where is found the "a" deer is 10 miles....

3. the only way to prove you tagged your deer in Illinois is to have the deer with your tag attached to it in your posession....

All I know for sure is.....a hunter reported his deer stolen from an area north of town......................and I found a field dressed deer in the ditch south of town about an hour after the initial report.

Bow Drawn 11-18-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firediver (Post 36680)
1. there is no guarantee the stolen deer and the one I found are the same deer (but I think they are)....

2. the distance from where the deer was stolen and the location where is found the "a" deer is 10 miles....

3. the only way to prove you tagged your deer in Illinois is to have the deer with your tag attached to it in your posession....

All I know for sure is.....a hunter reported his deer stolen from an area north of town......................and I found a field dressed deer in the ditch south of town about an hour after the initial report.

"Facts Mam, just the facts."
Ethically - I agree if the deer was stolen from a successful hunter that's wrong. That's black and white. Ohio is pretty much the same way, tag on deer immediately and in your possession at all times till checked in, you don't leave it on the side of the road.
Tell this story to the local cops and see how much of it settles in the bottom of tgheir tea cup. To me applying this story here in Ohio it don't hold tea in my cup, the facts don't point in a single direction. 10 miles difference for one is one long distance to me. The timing is during prime time so it might be the same deer and again maybe not.