Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Button or no Button? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3365)

PREDATOR X 10-31-2009 04:33 PM

Button or no Button?

I had a button around my stand the other day and let him walk. I told a friend about the experience and they asked if it was a young doe would I have shot it, I said yes. I got a look like I was nuts for doing so. I have not taken a buck in 4 or 5 years. I'm trying to shoot mature bucks, unfortunately I having bad luck. But I'm ok with it because there are plenty of does to go around. I think I did the right thing! So my question is what would you do?

ACPOSSETIM 10-31-2009 06:58 PM

Shoot whatever makes you happy. We all tend to get caught up in the mature or trophy thing a little too much. If you hunt an area of land that you can control and manage, passing young deer will pay off. On the other hand if you hunt public or small parcels with neighbors that do not practice any kind of deer management you won't always see the fruits of your sacrifices. Also, if you are in a bit of a dry spell, there is always something to be said for whacking the first deer to walk by to get the monkey off your back!! good luck the rest of your season!!

MCFantail 10-31-2009 10:13 PM

I to try to pass on button bucksn but will shoot any does young or old. Only way to keep the herd in check.

Monie 11-01-2009 08:20 AM

If you're a meat hunter, shoot the button. If you're of the mindset that you don't want to shoot a button, because you want antlers, then don't shoot button or the young does either. Does provide 50% of the genes that produce huge antlers. Give the young does a chance to prove their worth. Unless, of course, your deer herd is WAY out of balance and you desparately need to take out the does, then, by all means, shoot the does.

JAVI 11-01-2009 08:56 AM

Would I shoot the button buck?
Depends on the situation at the moment, I like deer meat and if it was close to the last day of the season and I had not been able to fill the freezer… then the answer is yes in a heartbeat… Some meat in the freezer and just need a bit more to fill it and I’m seeing does… then no... I’d shoot a doe and let the button pass.
But then I’d shoot a doe in lieu of a 10 point unless the 10 point was bigger than 160”. Doe just flat make better table fare than antlered bucks especially during and after the rut.

MJewell 11-03-2009 10:45 AM

I have passed on serveral young buck this year also including two that are 100-115 buck that is pretty good for our area but my trail cams tells me that there are three buck there that are 120+ with one of them that could possibly go as high as 140. So I have been waiting them out passed on an extremely wide(outside of his ears) 9 pointer that I figure would be 2.5 maybe 3.5 at the most and another nice eight pointer that appears to be 3.5-4.5 but has short mains but heavier mass then the 9 pointer just think they can use afew more years. I'm the only hunter in the area for more then 2Kms an these deer are there pretty much everday. Going to be holding out for the bigger ones for awhile yet. Lots of does there also.

Matt

Bow Drawn 11-03-2009 02:43 PM

Heck I just shot a button buck. Both my friend and I looked at it and thought it was a doe. I thought I was killing a young doe. Deer movement was nearly nothing around that little piece of property. I had a long streak of hunting whitetail with no shots on a whitetail that little deer changed my luck I hope for a long while. It's a meat hunt most of the time for me and I can afford going to the grocery store. :)

Va Hunter 11-03-2009 02:46 PM

I'm not real picky. If it doesn't have visisble horns it's in a world of hurt around me. I like eating those young, tender deer the most! A buck in full rut makes good jerky and that's about it.

D_Hunter 11-04-2009 12:06 PM

Button buck or young doe??

I too try and pass on the button bucks. However, I see plenty of antlerless deer in my area so I will take a young doe.

Actually my wife always tells me (or as I say "orders" me) to shoot at least 1 young deer each year. I did take a young doe this archery season already. Good "brownie" points with the wife.....

Moosedog 11-04-2009 04:41 PM

I normally pass on buttons, doe fawns and 1 1/2 yo bucks. But I shot my first button a couple years ago while still hunting with my bow. When I walked up on it its head and neck were hidden behind a tree and all I saw was from the front shoulder back. I was a little bummed after I double lunged it and found the buttons after it was down, of course that feeling went away as soon as the first steak came off the grill. :)
But then again I mainly hunt for the experience and the meat and am grateful for anything I'm fortunate enough to harvest with my bow. As long as it was a clean kill I'm going to enjoy every bit of it.