Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   MM - Moose Mania (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Firediver did you get your MOOSE??? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3347)

Bow Drawn 10-21-2009 12:53 PM

Firediver did you get your MOOSE???

I remember you started a thread about your moose hunt in Ontario but did I miss how it end up? How did it go for guys this year in Ontario at Kashabowie Outfitters?

Adam 10-21-2009 02:49 PM

They were scared of him, they heard he made some comment about having a crappy season and they know that every time he says something like that, he kills something huge shortly thereafter so they all stayed hidden.

firediver 10-21-2009 09:30 PM

Warm days and cold nights "killed" us for the second year in a row. The moose did all of their loving at night.

There was fresh sign every day when we hunted but they would NOT respond to our calls.

I've never prepared so hard for a trip.....total bummer to come home to eat tag soup again, but the time spent in camp was AWESOME!!!!!

Some nice bulls killed while we were there...most killed by hunters driving logging roads glassing clearcuts. We chose to stick to calling from a blind on the edge of a bog. This is a very affective technique when the moose are responding to calls.....plus it allows for great footage.

There is always next year!!!

Bow Drawn 10-22-2009 01:33 PM

Sorry to read you didn't file the tag. I was plugging for guys to get it done. :)

firediver 10-22-2009 06:34 PM

So were we;) Believe me...it wasn't from a lack of effort. We logged over 1000 miles on the truck once we got to camp. Long drives....long walks and quiet sits but the moose just didn't want to play with us.

Weather gets me almost everytime I hunt with an outfitter....2' of snow while elk hunting in September, 100 degree temps while bear hunting in Alberta, tree snapping winds in Saskatchewan, etc, etc

Not gonna' dampen' the spirits though.....I've made new FRIENDS on each adventure.

TBow 10-22-2009 08:42 PM

firediver,

Did you have a guide alongside you while you hunted or were you self-guiding out of an outfitter's camp?

How far north in Ontario were you? Near Thunderbay or further south or north?

What dates were you in camp? (I didn't read your original post so I'm assuming you were bowhunting)

Were you (or someone with you) calling? What calling techniques were they trying?

Sometimes even when you do everything right and all the stars are in alignment, seems no one may have told bullwinkle about it!!

TBow

firediver 10-23-2009 06:45 AM

Did you have a guide alongside you while you hunted or were you self-guiding out of an outfitter's camp? HUNTED WITH KASHABOWIE OUTPOSTS. THE OUTFITTER, FERN, WAS OUR GUIDE

How far north in Ontario were you? Near Thunderbay or further south or north? ATIKOKAN

What dates were you in camp? (I didn't read your original post so I'm assuming you were bowhunting) SEPT 21-OCT 6

Were you (or someone with you) calling? What calling techniques were they trying? WE WERE SET UP NEAR REMOTE LAKES AND COW CALLED. WE ALSO TRIED TO CHALLENGE BULLS BY RUBBING A SCAPULA ON A TREE

Sometimes even when you do everything right and all the stars are in alignment, seems no one may have told bullwinkle about it!! THERE WAS FRESH SIGN EVERYWHERE. THE MOOSE WERE LOCKED DOWN WHEN THE SUN CAME UP......ONLY MOVING AT NIGHT.

TBow

InDaWoods 10-23-2009 09:30 AM

Too bad that it seems like the weather bug keeps biting you in the butt. Only means one thing, that you're going to be killing some slammer whitetails again this year! Good Luck Scott... A class act all the way around, positive attitude and taking the time to address all the questions people have... Good Luck again!

TBow 10-23-2009 01:46 PM

fd / Scott,

Sorry if I asked too many questions where you may have allready addressed them in previous posts. Heck, how am I going to learn if I never ask questions. What's that they say about questions:

"The only bad question is the one that's never asked!"

In any event, thanks for the answers.

I guess it's far more difficult to film a successful hunt than it is to just go hunting. Hey, maybe that'd be a good idea for a show for next year on how to film a hunt. Sort of a"Do's and Don'ts" or a "How To" series.

In any event, please be patient with me on this posting thing as I just retired last month, and until I am able to get my routine into some sort of a regular schedule, I'll be posting on these here hunting websites more, seein's I just seem to have way too much time on my hands now.

"Hey Rocky! No doubt about it! I got'ta get a new hat!"

TBow

firediver 10-23-2009 01:54 PM

Ask away!!! I enjoy chatting!!!

You live in a great place!!! Some of my best hunting and fishing memories are in Ontario. From chasing moose near Atikokan to fighting 30" walleye near Sioux Lookout....lots of good memories.