Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Ralph, Vicki & The Posse (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Broadhead tuning question (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3291)

beagler 09-28-2009 07:49 PM

Broadhead tuning question

I've shot 4 blade Muzzys for years. They have always shot identical to my field points. This year I tried NAP's Hellrazors. My windage is dead on, but they group consistanly 1-2 inches above my field points from 20 - 25 yards. I have not tried shooting beyond 25 yet. My question is; should I adjust my pins to compensate or move my knock? I'm nervous to move my knock because I've always felt my bow was in tune. I figure Ralph or Vicki would know what to do, they have bailed me out in the past when I have met them at shows.

ACPOSSETIM 09-28-2009 09:41 PM

I would shoot longer and see if the results are the same. If your point of impact doesn't change I'd just move your 20 yd pin but if they are all off you may want to move your rest or nock. Have you checked to see if your string may have stretched, or eliminated all other possibilities except for the new broadheads?

beagler 09-28-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM (Post 35631)
I would shoot longer and see if the results are the same. If your point of impact doesn't change I'd just move your 20 yd pin but if they are all off you may want to move your rest or nock. Have you checked to see if your string may have stretched, or eliminated all other possibilities except for the new broadheads?

Thanks for the input. I feel it is the broadheads because my Muzzys and field points are still hitting the same. If I move my pins, wont that mess up my field points POI? I guess its not the ends of the world, I just need to remember to move them back at the end of the season.

Bow Drawn 09-29-2009 10:04 AM

Have you tried weighing the your arrows to see if the hellrazors are different than your Muzzy's? I have seen this with mine and the broad heads were 5 grains lighter. But I will add at this distance weight usually is not a factor. You might try turning your nocks on your arrows to see if your POI changes for you.

YorkArcher 09-29-2009 10:45 AM

Check the weight... compare them to your field tips and muzzys...

Try shooting out to 30 and if your still high adjust your sight...

I wouldn't mess with your nocking point....

burrhead 09-29-2009 11:24 AM

I'm don't know your set up or speed you are shooting, but if you are shooting at speeds in excess of 250fps larger broadheads have a tendency of planing. Just a thought as the hellrazor has a much bigger blade than a muzzy. If you are shooting at blazing speeds you will not be able to shoot a large broadhead, that is why the smaller broadheads are so popular this day and age. If you are not shooting really fast you probably just need to do some fine tuning with your set up. Just my take. good luck and happy hunting.:)