Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Broadhead Question? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3233)

cgshp49 09-09-2009 09:36 AM

Broadhead Question?

My wife shoots a Parker Sidekick XP, 40# and a 22" draw. I have had her shoot my old 100g Muzzy 3-blades and they are very accurate for her, and get good penatration on our target. Yesterday at the pro shop, the guy said that she should go with Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. He said that the Muzzy's take too much energy to break though the hide, and the Stinger would give her much better penatration. I know that they would get better penatration, but what I want to know is if would really make that much of a difference or was he just trying to sell me something she doesn't really need? Should I go ahead and buy them or see how the Muzzy's work out for her first?

MOvenatic 09-09-2009 09:52 AM

I would think that any good sharp broadhead would do the trick. If she's getting good penetration with the Muzzy, stick with it.

YorkArcher 09-09-2009 09:55 AM

I think you should look at a "cut on contact" tip. Where the blade extends to the tip.

Broadheads as big as the magnus heads scare me. They look like they would catch alot of wind.

There are a few cut on contact heads...

I don't know the speed of her arrows but I can't imagine it being too fast at 40# top end maybe 250 fps.

my advise, if the muzzy heads are working for her stick with them. If she has killed with them before keep using them.

You can through alot of money into broadheads just to find out they wont fly straight...

TxStarr 09-09-2009 11:30 AM

I have a Parker Buckshot, 43#, 23" draw and I use Muzzy's. Mine are fixed, 3-blade, 100 grain and PINK. I have killed two hogs and one deer with them. The arrow went all the way through one hog and into the lungs of another and all the way through the deer. I am thinking that is plenty of penetration.

I say, if she is happy with the Muzzy's, let her rip tater chip. If, after this season, she is not happy with the performance, then try something else.

Bow Drawn 09-09-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxStarr (Post 34875)
I have a Parker Buckshot, 43#, 23" draw and I use Muzzy's. Mine are fixed, 3-blade, 100 grain and PINK. I have killed two hogs and one deer with them. The arrow went all the way through one hog and into the lungs of another and all the way through the deer. I am thinking that is plenty of penetration.

I say, if she is happy with the Muzzy's, let her rip tater chip. If, after this season, she is not happy with the performance, then try something else.

TxStarr is spot on here. It's all about how accurate she is with that Muzzy. If she is dead on with it for your style of hunting then go with it.

Uncle Ted uses the Stinger Buzz cut as well as his wife Shemaine and she is a lower weight shooter and has no problem on big game animals with the Stinger. they show her on the show taking about any animal on North America as well as African game with her setup. Just my .02:)

Monie 09-09-2009 01:34 PM

I think the tech was more worried about penetration rather than a few dollars. It's been proven that 2 blades penetrate farther than a 3 or 4 blade. Like Starr says, if she's not getting the penetration, then switch.

I will tell you that those Stingers are wicked! I shot one a while back, missed my target and it went through heavy metal siding and into a couple of layers of sheet metal that was sitting outside...had a heck of a time getting my arrow unstuck!

cgshp49 09-09-2009 06:50 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. This will be her first year bow hunting so, her whole setup is really "untested." TxStarr's setup seems to be pretty close to my wifes so, that makes me a lot more confident. I used to use 125g Muzzy 4 blades on a 45# Darton 30MX back in the '80's. Complete pass thoughs then, and her bow probably generates about as much energy now as that old Darton did then. The Muzzy's shoot out of her bow as good as field points, so I think we'll give those a shot.

TxStarr 09-10-2009 08:45 AM

I tried the 125 grains (Will has several different brands in that grain) but they seemed to be too heavy for my baby arrows (they are only about 25"). I don't know why but I feel better with the 100 grain.

Good luck to her.

Arrowmike 09-19-2009 10:56 AM

I would think if your after penetration you would go for the stinger and not the stinger buzzcut. It will take less energy to push a straight blade then a serrated blade. There are also a lot of other heads out there that will work too.

JAVI 10-17-2009 01:49 PM

The Stinger and the Buzz cut are both good choices, however if you like the Muzzy it is easy to improve the penetration potential by sharpening the trocar tip with a file and even a stone… When Muzzy first hit the market the trocar point was much smoother and the edges and point sharper.

Another good choice would be the SteelForce PhatHead in either 75 or 100 grain...