Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   SWD - Severe Whitetail Disorders (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How long to wait (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3229)

SunRiverMan 09-07-2009 08:00 PM

How long to wait

This has been a long year with my shoulder surgery in March. I have recovered and now shoot a 51 lb Katera as good as ever. I have the urge to get out there and hunt badly.

The season started Saturday. We didn't go because of the heat. This week the weather is in the low 80's. What would you do? Last year I shot an early season doe that had lots of ticks. I don't want to spoil any meat as I only get one either sex and one doe. There is always elk, but no guarantee. I like snow for elk anyways.

Should I do the right thing and wait for cooler weather or get out there and hunt? My brother says let's go. SRM

Va Hunter 09-08-2009 11:09 AM

Just because ya go don't mean ya got shoot something. Being out there can be somw of the best therapy ever.
Who knows, the biggest buck of your lifetime might be walking right up to yer stand. If ya ain't there, he's gonna keep right on walking.

Monie 09-08-2009 02:37 PM

Get out there. Va's right, being in the woods can be some of the best medicine, even if you don't bag an animal.

Do ticks really taint the meat, or is it the idea of them just grosses you out?

SunRiverMan 09-08-2009 05:33 PM

I now agree. I was out early this morning and it was 35 degrees. I will hunt early and late with a nice little nap in between. Thanks! SRM

EDIT- The ticks do no harm. They are just not pleasant when field dressing the animal. There is also the fear of bringing them home. We have dogs.

Va Hunter 09-09-2009 09:31 AM

Sun,
We get some pretty ticky deer down here sometimes, also. I skin my deer in my outbuilding, right next to my dog kennel. I started spreading Diazanon grannuals to soak up any dripping blood on the floor and haven't had any problems from the ticks. If they let go and fall off, they fall right into the grannuals, which kills them. I sweep up after every deer and spread another layer for the next victim on the hook.

Just don't drop any meat. If ya do, throw it away.

Monie 09-09-2009 01:25 PM

My grandmother used to inspect her dogs on a regular basis. Instead of waiting for the flea and tick collar to do it's thing, she'd pull off the ticks and drop them in a little jar of rubbing alcohol.

SunRiverMan 09-13-2009 12:49 AM

Well, we went out today. It looked like the bucks are already starting to chase the does. I used a ground blind near a food source. I saw my brother pointing to something and peeked out the back window to see a 130 class whitetail moving toward me.

I got ready for the shot and when I opened the back window he was gone. I think my chair made a noise and spooked him. It was a great day! SRM

Monie 09-13-2009 07:28 AM

SWEET! Sounds like you had a really great hunt! ...just makes you want to go back for more!

I hope you get that dude...or his big brother!

PAdroptine 09-13-2009 09:06 AM

You can't kill a deer if your not in the woods, who knows that giant might walk right underneath your stand:)