Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Shotguns (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3197)

Monie 08-31-2009 08:12 PM

Shotguns

With the upcoming dove season, I've been thinking about shotguns. Now, I have one that'll get the job done, but I'd like to get something "better".

As I've mentioned before, I grew up shooting dove and quail - cut my hunting teeth on them. My dad bought a Wingmaster for me on my 13th birthday. Man was that a great gun. So, the something better would be a Wingmaster. Now, I know there are some really AWESOME guns out there. Most are well over $1000. For me, the Wingmaster is the perfect gun. It is reasonably priced at $600. It's light, balanced and can be operated almost as fast as a semi-automatic shotgun.

If you had a preference, what shotgun would you get? Would it be a high end gun or one you know well?

MCFantail 08-31-2009 08:52 PM

My first shotgun was a winchester 1300 I have shot more critters with that gun. Everyhting form quail and phesants to deer and turkeys. My favorite bird gun for now is my remington 1100. Then I have a 11-87 for deer and turkey.

Moosedog 08-31-2009 09:05 PM

For me I'm sticking with my 870, its been my do everything gun for the last 20 yrs. I've taken 15 deer with it with the slug barrel on and it's still shooting 3" groups at 100 yds. I change the barrel after deer season and I'm out chasing grouse and cottontails. Then in the spring I change choke tubes and its turkey time. In 20 years of hard hunting I've never had this gun fail me even hunting in the snow, freezing rain, what ever its always reliable and has yet to jam or missfire. I did change out the stock and forearm a couple of years ago and put on a synthetic stock with a built in recoil pad so I'll guess I'll be keeping it for at least another 10 or 20 yrs.

Monie 09-01-2009 08:00 AM

I assume you're talking about the Express, as the Wingmaster is also an 870. The Express is what I am using now. Like I said, it gets the job done. I'd definitely use it for turkey and deer, anything else will get the Wingmaster.

Now, I have shot a Browning gold and that is a nice gun, too. If I absolutely couldn't get a Wingmaster, my second choice would be a Browning Gold.

untamed outdoors 09-01-2009 09:44 AM

Im a huge Benelli fan. I have a Benelli Nova, hands down, that is the most dependable gun ive ever seen in my life. Ive used this gun as my primary turkey hunting gun for the past 4 years. I know this is bad to say, but ive never took this gun apart and cleaned it. Its been rained on, dropped, used as a boat paddle, dropped in creeks, and whatever else abusive that can happen to a gun. This thing still performs and looks like a new gun. Unbelievable durability, and it can be purchased for around $400. Oh yeah, i also shoot at least 100 rounds a year at doves with it. I also have a Benelli M2 semi-auto that is an awesome gun as well, but its a lil more pricey.

For the money, my pick is the Benelli Nova.

Marti 09-02-2009 08:40 AM

Monie-
Check out the Browning Silver. I got mine back at the first of the year and love it. It is real similar to the Golds, just a lighter frame...I believe it's an alloy frame. I shot several different 12 ga semi-autos before deciding on this one. Went with the MO Duck Blind camo w/ the 28" barrel so it's my multi-purpose shotgun. wing shooting, clay shooting, etc...

Monie 09-02-2009 05:15 PM

Thanks, Marti, I'll do that!

Va Hunter 09-04-2009 03:17 PM

Monie,
If yer looking for a shotgun that won't let ya down, ya can't beat a Nova, in my opinion. Granted, ya gotta get past the looks of them, but DANG! These thing'sll work when everything else has stopped. The plastic stock and forearms don't scratch no matter what kinda briar patch yer in. Rain, snow, sleet don't bother them either. The recoil pads on the originals wasn't worth a dang, just a hard plastic kinda stuff. The 12ga, with a load of 3.5'' shells would try it's best to drive it thru your shoulder! Limbsaver makes a replacement one though. I've not shot the 20ga guns but have fondled them in a shop or two. If I was willing to let go of some of my other shotguns, I might buy one, but that's gonna take some doing. Prices ain't all that bad niether. Bennelli's now offering the Super Nova, too. If I'm not mistaken, you can get these guns in Combo Packs, Standard barrel and rifled slug barrel, also.

cpd realpolice 09-15-2009 02:45 PM

Ditto on the Benelli comments. I shoot the 870's for work and Benelli Super Nova for fun and the Nova is like butter. Nice and smooth and zero recoil. I'll admit it for a big guy I am kind of a recoil panzy and there almost no felt recoil with the super nova. Can shoot it all day.