Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tuning your bow? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3186)

SunRiverMan 08-29-2009 10:58 PM

Tuning your bow?

Does anyone tune their own bow? My brother and I have a press and draw board. We do all of our own tuning. He does the most because he likes it. The good thing is our equipment had paid for itself many times over.

I will go out on a limb and say our bows are tuned as good as the best shop can do. SRM

ACPOSSETIM 08-29-2009 11:54 PM

I work on mine as much as possible, I used to have a portable press that I used but it doesn't work on split limbs. Been looking at buying a new one though, thinking about the ezpress. Might build one though too. I almost feel it's a must for anyone who travels and hunts, I try and bring spare parts with on any hunt that can fix my bow or maybe another hunter in camp. I have been too many places that don't have a shop within hours of camp....if something breaks my hunt would have been over. Mainly I bring an extra string/cable set in case one gets cut or breaks. The easiest way (cheapest too) is to save your string when you replace it. Just leave it set up, nocks, peeps, silencers, everything you may have on it. The new string won't cost that much more with new accessories on it and your old string will be ready to go, with minimal tweaking, in case of an emergency. I bring 1/2 doz. NAP quikfletches too (due to a bad incident with fletchings on a moose hunt:mad:) These are real simple to apply if you're in a bind. If you think it out you can keep the kit pretty small.

Lets start an emergency spare parts list...add as you see fit!

Spare string/cables
extra pins/fibers for your sight
silencers/heat shrink for your rest
extra peep and an aligner/tube (if you use them)
serving material
d-loop/dropaway rope
wax (I use some that comes in a chapstick size tube)
small tube of superglue
locktite (check around and you can find small single use tubes pretty cheap)
1/2 doz Quikfletch
small fold up allenwrench set (usually fits everything but limb bolts)

That pretty much covers my kit, it's saved me or another on a couple occasions. It typically fits in a ziplock sandwich bag, or a small divided plastic Plano case. Feel free to add anything I missed!

Monie 08-30-2009 08:34 AM

I work on my own bow as much as I can. Over the past few years, I've gotten pretty anal about how it's set up. Besides, I like to play around with it and it saves me money. We have a shop around here that charges $25 every time your bow is in their press!! :eek: My arrows are what I'm most anal about. Each one has to be fletched the EXACT same way as the last.

Great White Hunter 08-30-2009 09:33 AM

Add a "pocket bow press" a lighter, a box cutter, and sight light batteries for us Texas hunters.

I am also an archery technician and I tune my own bow.

YorkArcher 08-31-2009 07:18 AM

I do some... mostly repairs and helping out buddies...

My pro shop is real good about helping out customers...

Smokey 08-31-2009 03:21 PM

I taught myself how to do it a few years back just to know incase something happened up at camp. I travel over 20hrs to get there and the nearest shop is a 6 hr round trip for the camp. So handy to know but when I'm home I take it to the local pro and let him do the fine tuning for me.

I do have a spare kit with everything I could ever use in it when I travel.

Monie 08-31-2009 03:53 PM

Good for you Smokey!

It is essential to know how to care for your equipment, especially if no one is around to help you!

cgshp49 09-02-2009 06:24 AM

For most things, I just take it to a shop. Just had to go yesterday cuz I just could not figure out why I could not get good groups at 20yds. I thought it was my Quick Fletch's hitting my fall away or riser, turns out the bow was slightly out of tune.

HurricaneCreek 09-02-2009 06:24 PM

I have always done my own. I like to experiment and mess around with different things and it's just handier if you can do it yourself :)