Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fletchings (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3182)

dave51r 08-28-2009 11:21 AM

Fletchings

What is better long or short fletchings ? I shoot A Hoyt Dynatech 65 to 70 lbs. draw weight with a Ripcord arrow rest have 4inch fletchings on Beeman ics arrows fletchings seem to be hiting arrow rest not hurting shot placement but fletchings get wavey. Was wondering what the differance size of fletchings make on flite,spin,balamce,stabiliztion. Any help would be great

ACPOSSETIM 08-28-2009 11:37 AM

I like the quikspin speedhunters myself, they are a little shorter but they have about the same profile as a normal vane, maybe even a bit taller. If you are getting contact with a fall away rest, I think the rest might not be set up properly? Are you seeing wear or scuffs on your rest? Also check to see if you have your vanes aligned properly to clear your rest. If you have a tunable nock you might try rotating it a little to see if that helps clearance. Good Luck!

YorkArcher 08-28-2009 12:05 PM

I use the 2 inch blazer vanes with very minimal right helical (twist)

longer vanes help stabilize your arrow faster but slow it down as well.

more twist = slower arrow, more forgiveness, faster recovery of arrow

less twist = slightly more speed,less forgiveness

ACPOSSETIM is absolutely right about your rest and nock

If your not sure what your hitting put some lipstick on the edge of your vanes and shoot them. Look to see where the lipstick is on your rest, riser, or anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Monie 08-28-2009 12:47 PM

Hmmm...Ol' Yorkie is using his lipstick on fletching huh?

I agree with Tim, too. Also, make sure your nock point is right. If it's too high or too low, that'll throw off the flight of your arrows.

oneshot 08-29-2009 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Monie;34452]Hmmm...Ol' Yorkie is using his lipstick on fletching huh?

I knew that was comming. Monie couldn't resist and we would have thought she was slipping if she didn't

YorkArcher 08-29-2009 02:01 PM

I thought about explaining myself but I figured I should be serious sometime. Besides the one I use for testing looked better in the store!!!

Monie 08-29-2009 03:19 PM

*GASP* Serious?!?! OMG! I'm going to faint!

YorkArcher 08-29-2009 03:37 PM

I know, I know.. I'll try not to let it happen again..

I don't know what's worse, you being shocked I was serious or you not being shocked I made lipstick joke!!

But hey, the man has a serious problem!!!

Monie 08-29-2009 08:54 PM

True true. I hope the issue has been resolved. :)

...or maybe you scared him away with the lipstick. :o

You really need to stop scaring the new comers.:rolleyes:

cgshp49 09-02-2009 06:44 AM

I have recently switched the the quick fletch just for the convenience. Saves me a trip to the pro shop. With the Z71 gas sucker they pay for themselves. I can go once and buy a few boxes and I'm good to go. That way I don't have to make the 50 mile round trip twice to get one or more arrows refletched. Just last night, my wife and I both tore up flecthings. I have extra's so it's a quick fix.