Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   BND - Bear'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2009 Bear Hunt (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2913)

Liege 05-24-2009 08:17 PM

2009 Bear Hunt

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it's been an interesting season. I managed a couple of first's: I harvested the biggest bear that I have ever taken for myself, and, I did it with my bow, which is the first bear I have ever taken with archery gear. My daughter and I saw this bear on a bait one night last week, but she couldn't get a shot. He saw us and didn't hang around. The bait was getting hit, just not when we were on stand. She had to go back to work on the Tuesday, so it was just me on Monday night. No action, and I got chased home by a snow storm. I went back on Wednesday morning, straightened up camp after a 6" dump of snow, and re-baited. In the time that it took me to come back to camp, get ready, and walk down to my bait, it had already been hit. I got into the stand about 5:00 PM, and the first bear was in about 8:00. He heard me stand up and didn't stay long. Two more came in about 9:00; they were there about five minutes when they just scattered! I looked down and Mr. Right walked in right underneath me. I let him clear the spruces and came to full draw with him quartering away. He heard something, because he looked back over his shoulder right at me, but it was too late - the pin was on him and steady. I don't remember the shot - the arrow was just gone. It looked good and he ran off into the heavy cover. There was no moan, so I waited a bit and got down to follow him up. I use my Remington 11-87 and triple 0 buck for this job - works good if needed. He only went 20 yards and tipped over. I had to enlist the help of two buddies to get him out the next morning, and we were straining getting him onto the quad. He squares 6' 8", and his skull is 19 3/8", green. So, he should be well into P&Y. My daughter didn't get a bear, so we're going to go to a favourite spot in August, and hunt bears spot and stalk with our bows.
Gord

brizzy 05-24-2009 09:17 PM

congrats on the nice bear

Monie 05-24-2009 09:31 PM

Congratulations!!!

timba 05-25-2009 09:25 AM

awesome bear gord,I don't think I'll end up with a bear this spring.They are emptying my bait in about 3 days and I have to go back to work for 9 :( maybe this fall I'll try again

coorsdrifter 05-25-2009 12:07 PM

Congrats!!:D

Bow Drawn 05-26-2009 09:38 AM

Great story and thanks for sharing it. That's a very respectable bear.

Sounds like all that practicing with a bow came together once your pin hit solid the release arrow was a surprise but deadly, way to go.

YorkArcher 05-26-2009 01:31 PM

Very nice!!!