Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Watch Your Step (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Newbie Help (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2895)

Monie 05-17-2009 01:57 PM

Newbie Help

OK guys and gals, I'd like to start trapping this year, beaver specifically. Why? Because I know where there are several huts and I think it would be the easiest way to start. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Anyway, would a 220 work or should I go with a 330? How many traps would be a good number to start with? How many traps should I set around each hut and where?

I have soooooooo many questions! I'd like to get this figured out before season rolls around.

bear2 05-17-2009 08:26 PM

Go with the 330 & get a good setter right away, it's a lot easier on the broken fingers. As for where to set check your trapping regs. some states have limits on how far you need to be from dams, houses etc. runs where they go to shore to feed are always good sets. Block all but where your trap is with poles stuck in the mud. Don't get too many traps or it becomes a job & as of now fur is nearly worthless. Good luck & most important have fun.

firediver 05-17-2009 08:31 PM

There is a great trapping forum on the web that a friend talks about all of the time. I will ask for the addy....

Monie 05-17-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear2 (Post 32127)
Go with the 330 & get a good setter right away, it's a lot easier on the broken fingers. As for where to set check your trapping regs. some states have limits on how far you need to be from dams, houses etc. runs where they go to shore to feed are always good sets. Block all but where your trap is with poles stuck in the mud. Don't get too many traps or it becomes a job & as of now fur is nearly worthless. Good luck & most important have fun.

Yeah, I just picked up the current issue of Fur-Fish-Game...dang Russians! lol If I can get something off the furs I'll take it! Honestly, what the furs are worth now is close to what I'm getting on commission, so for me, it's a win win situation.

Cherokeechass 05-18-2009 09:29 AM

Monie how are we ever gonna get anymore cookies if you keep getting more hobbies? First it was the bees now the beavers! Sheeeesh! What's a pregnant girl gotta do to get some cookies? lol

Monie 05-18-2009 09:53 AM

I know I know, I've been really slacking in the cookie department...sorry. :o Oh, and the "girls" have been hit by a stomach bug, so the population has dwindled from 50,000 to about 7,000, which isn't bad, but it's not good either. I put a new queen in the hive a couple of days ago. Hopefully, she's been freed from her cage and is now laying eggs. *Crossing my finger*

OK, anywho, I'm kinda excited about this trapping business! I've been reading up on it and I'm really looking forward to getting out there, braving the elements to run my trapline, walking in the footsteps of those trappers from days gone by. All I need is a cabin in the wilderness and I'll be set!

Cherokeechass 05-18-2009 10:36 AM

That's funny that you mentioned Fur Fish and Game. I haven't bought one of those in a while. Everytime I had a baby I took one to the hopital for Billy to read to kill time. I'll have to get one this summer. I don't want to break tradition. I need to dig out my Orioles shirt too...I wore it in to deliver everytime.

Monie 05-18-2009 10:52 AM

lol...don't wanna break tradition!

Speaking of Fur-Fish-Game...my friend Larry, said that about sums up a woman. I think his mouth got ahead of his brain, because as soon as he said it he turned beet red!!!! I'd never seen him embarrass himself so bad my life! I was laughing more at him than his comment. lol

Adam 05-18-2009 01:50 PM

www.trapperman.com is a good website

For beaver you want 330s, the biggest footholds you can use legally, and snares. The # of each depends on how much ground you'll be covering and how.

Monie 05-18-2009 02:00 PM

Thanks, Adam.

I went a got a 110 today to practice with...yeah, I'm a little leary of getting my fingers smashed, or would that be mangled? So, I'll get comfortable with this then I'll move up to the 220 and 330.