Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   BND - Bear'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   oats (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288)

timba 01-26-2008 09:15 AM

oats

Does any one here use oats for bear bait,I did last spring with a 5 gal pail,with a little hole in the bottom of it and KFC oil mixed in with the oats.The bears loved it but it was always empty and the pails were all ways wrecked.I was thinking of setting up a barell with oats some how but not sure how to do it.

TLC 01-26-2008 01:10 PM

timba, have never heard of anyone using oats before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. think if you soak it in grease, they will eat it. as far as the barrel, get a metal one that you can fasten the lid on and do the same thing you did with the 5 gallon buckets. this time though, chain the barrel to a tree with a logging chain. get a good lock or two. that should take care of the tearing up of the bucket problem. just run the chain thru a couple holes you cut in the barrel.

timba 01-26-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLC (Post 3658)
timba, have never heard of anyone using oats before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. think if you soak it in grease, they will eat it. as far as the barrel, get a metal one that you can fasten the lid on and do the same thing you did with the 5 gallon buckets. this time though, chain the barrel to a tree with a logging chain. get a good lock or two. that should take care of the tearing up of the bucket problem. just run the chain thru a couple holes you cut in the barrel.

I'll give it a try,I had the pales rachet strapped to the tree and they would ripp them out some how.I have a steel barrel full of oats right now that I can use.

Bears love oats,lots of farmers in bear country hate bears becasue bears play and roll around in the oat fields wrecking the crop.

timba 01-26-2008 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a little guy eating oats from the pale.this pale was just tried to the tree.After I lost a couple pales I had to start strapping them.

ACPOSSETIM 01-26-2008 03:53 PM

we use them the same way in Saskatchewan, oats and restaurant grease. They love 'em! We just use 55 gal. steel barrels with a couple 6" holes cut in them, it lets the bear get a paw full at a time but keeps them near the bait for a while. As said above make sure you chain them to a tree or they'll be gone:mad:

TLC 01-26-2008 04:08 PM

timba, sounds like I might have to come up and check your set up out. having never seen bears get into oats before, should be intersting. and of course, since I'm there, maybe I'll just happen to have my bow with me.;):D:D

TLC 01-26-2008 04:10 PM

that little guy looks like the 3 I had at the bait I was sitting at in idaho last may. another year or two, and he's down on my floor in front of the fireplace.

Tradtech 01-26-2008 06:23 PM

Oats in Alberta as well. Mixed with some liquid smoke and brown sugar, it works well. Oats would be one of the three courses served at the bait sites, cookies, beaver, and oats with lots of old pork bones and skulls scattered around.

musky_xl 01-26-2008 08:13 PM

weve used oats too...we also use honey or corn syrup with it, add some day old donuts and its pretty thick and gooey. the good thing about oats or corn is that they almost have to eat it there and its not easy to drag away like when using old beaver, or muskrat etc.

musky_xl 01-26-2008 08:17 PM

another thing...if you have a hard time getting big clean barrels, instead of those 5 gallon pails, i would dig a small pit for the bait and just pile large cut logs on top...

before trail cameras we used to hang some carcasses in sacks from the trees at certain heights... if it got hit we knew we probably had a bear of certain length.