Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkey Talk (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you have your sites set on a particular bird? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2762)

AF Hunter 04-03-2009 08:19 AM

Do you have your sites set on a particular bird?

Every morning when I walk outside it sounds like a battle zone with all the toms gobbling. I can't claim I go turkey hunting anymore as it is more of just going out the front door and walking 1/4 mile and shooting a Tom. I guess to make it more exciting, I'll have to get real picky and go for the biggest bird w/best beard. Last year we harvested 3 birds during the spring season. They were:
28 1/2 lbs w/13" beard L spur 1 7/8" R spur 1 5/8"
25 lb 3oz w/3 beards (11", 8", 6"), L spur 1 1/2" R spur 1 1/2"
25 lb w/9" beard, L spur 1 3/8 R spur 1 1/2"

I have seen a couple of toms that drag their beard when walking upright out here that have to be pushing 30 lbs. They are on the hit list for this season.

Do you have your sites on a particular Tom, or is it first come, first serve?

Va Hunter 04-03-2009 09:21 AM

I wish I had your problem as to which one to shoot! Our toms are kinda scattered and there seem to be a larger population of hens this year, so the competion is gonna be stiff.

PAdroptine 04-03-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF Hunter (Post 31178)
Every morning when I walk outside it sounds like a battle zone with all the toms gobbling. I can't claim I go turkey hunting anymore as it is more of just going out the front door and walking 1/4 mile and shooting a Tom. I guess to make it more exciting, I'll have to get real picky and go for the biggest bird w/best beard. Last year we harvested 3 birds during the spring season. They were:
28 1/2 lbs w/13" beard L spur 1 7/8" R spur 1 5/8"
25 lb 3oz w/3 beards (11", 8", 6"), L spur 1 1/2" R spur 1 1/2"
25 lb w/9" beard, L spur 1 3/8 R spur 1 1/2"

I have seen a couple of toms that drag their beard when walking upright out here that have to be pushing 30 lbs. They are on the hit list for this season.

Do you have your sites on a particular Tom, or is it first come, first serve?

Those Toms are HUGE!

firediver 04-03-2009 02:11 PM

I'm hoping to shoot my first Rio is a few weeks...

bullmoose38 04-03-2009 03:38 PM

Well I try to look for a bird around 10 plus inches. This year we are going to go after a biggun! Actually Holly has found him and where he is roosting. So it would only be fair for her to shoot him since she found him.:eek: But Padroptine is coming up hunting for the youth hunt. It would be even sweeter if he can get him. I didnt get to checkout some of our other properties we can hunt. So I will probably just try for 1 around 10 inches but if it has a full fan I wont pass him up.

MJewell 04-03-2009 05:31 PM

Around here you take the first mature tom that you see unless there is an better one bring up the rear. Have quit shooting jakes unless it is for an youth or an first time hunter.

Matt

PAdroptine 04-04-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullmoose38 (Post 31189)
Well I try to look for a bird around 10 plus inches. This year we are going to go after a biggun! Actually Holly has found him and where he is roosting. So it would only be fair for her to shoot him since she found him.:eek: But Padroptine is coming up hunting for the youth hunt. It would be even sweeter if he can get him. I didnt get to checkout some of our other properties we can hunt. So I will probably just try for 1 around 10 inches but if it has a full fan I wont pass him up.

Ya I cant wait I'm getting chills just thinking about it:D

NCSCOTT68 04-05-2009 07:02 PM

Good luck Padroptine!! i'm sure adam and holly will put you on them.:)

PAdroptine 04-05-2009 07:26 PM

Thanks NCSCOTT68!:)

AF Hunter 04-06-2009 09:40 AM

Yesterday, as I was leaving the farm to go up to the "the big city" (or as big as it gets in Iowa), There were two toms strutting with some hens in a meadow along the lane. I turn and head towards the highway and there's more toms strutting. I get a couple miles down the highway and there's a tom strutting on the shoulder of the road! I looked at the missus and asked if we really had to make this trip now. The look on her face told me that I should keep driving and shut up. By the time we came home, it was snowing pretty good and no more turkeys. Season is coming up soon and I'm ready for a bow bird and then a gun bird.