Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkey Talk (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Turkey Roosts? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2715)

PAdroptine 03-22-2009 04:05 PM

Turkey Roosts?

I found some trees turkeys are rooting in, and im wondering if turkeys change where they roost throughout the spring or do they stay in the same area

Va Hunter 03-23-2009 08:45 AM

Around here, turkeys will move from one area to another, roosting in a different area every nite. They seem to use the same roosting places when they come back thru. This seems to apply mostly thru the fall and winter. During the spring, the hens want to roost close to their nesting areas and don't move around as much. Gobbler will roost near the girls but move about more.

bear2 03-23-2009 04:59 PM

Around here (WI)they seem to stay put early then as season moves on and the hens split up the toms spread out to be nearer the hens nests. Good luck with those aggravating beaststhey do what they want.

PAdroptine 03-23-2009 06:23 PM

Thanks Ill try to get one on the ground:)

OhioCooner 03-25-2009 07:50 AM

Turks around my area seem to stay right around the same places, but some days they'll move around. All depends on if they get spooked etc.

MJewell 03-25-2009 11:31 AM

Here in Ontario they stay pretty close till they get bumped from an spot then they will find anew one some distance away. Seen the same bird cover more then 3 miles in an day, usaully use the same roosting site each time they past back thur the spots year after year.

Lots of birds being sighted in the areas that I have permission to hunt. Seen over 24 birds in two different field that I have permission to hunt. There was 4 jakes in one field not sure what was in the other as they were 150 yards away an I didn't have bino's with me at the time.

Tons of deer kicking around now also.

Matt

NCSCOTT68 03-25-2009 05:51 PM

Typically in my area as long as they have a good food source they wil roost in the same trees until they get alot of pressure or later in the season when the gobblers are looking for the last hens to be bread.

Great White Hunter 03-26-2009 11:54 AM

Good habitat and NO walking through roosting areas and they generally continue to roost in the same spots. There are two spots the roost in the most and every season they are roosting in the same trees. We are very careful not to walk through roosting areas though. I'm usually set up about 100-150 yards outside the roosting areas. I can hear them gobbling on the roost from my blind. The biggest obstacle for me is I never get to hunt opening weekend so the toms are usually henned up and quiet when I get out there...makes things difficult. This year I'll be out opening weekend so I'm pretty excited about the TWO-sided interaction.

AF Hunter 04-03-2009 08:17 AM

Depends on weather conditions and whether or not they are getting pressured near their present roost. Best thing to do is find the area they are roosting in and watch for several evenings. Then the night before you hunt, watch where they roost that evening and be there to greet them in the morning.