Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Ralph, Vicki & The Posse (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   question (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2672)

rainman 03-12-2009 03:25 PM

question

what is your opinion about a camerman speaking while they are filming their partner. we all know i am a little over the top but people have put in their two cents and i wanted to hear your opinion and others. well if its (true) emotions well i think it adds to the experiance.

firediver 03-12-2009 07:32 PM

It is a team effort. I hate it when the person behind the camera is telling the hunter to shoot...but other than that, team effort. I like listening to an occasional conversation between hunter and cameraman. It is a great way to get a feel for what the hunter is thinking. I just don't think the cameraman should be telling the hunter how to hunt or when to shoot.

There really isn't much reason for the cameraman to speak before the kill....but once blood has been spilled...talk away!!!! (Just don't let Bucky read this or Kevin will never be able to get a word in;):D)

ladybowhntr 03-12-2009 07:48 PM

I posted my reply in another thread before seeing this question. I wouldn't change a thing in that footage, Tony!!!! Priceless!!!!!

YorkArcher 03-13-2009 07:25 AM

I'm with firedriver...

I have never filmed a hunt but I'm sure I wouldn't want someone talking to me in the moment!!!!

After the fact or during a lul go ahead and chat a little...

I love seeing genuine excitement after a successfull shot...

I hate this over popular "tag line" type celebration that you here over and over again on some shows!!!!

Be excited, celebrate with your buddies, give thanks to whoever...

Stop acting for the camera....

That's one reason I like the AC shows so much.... Real people...

YorkArcher 03-13-2009 07:31 AM

Oh yeah,,,

How you guys stop yourselves from taking a shot when the camera can't see I will never know!!!!

I'm not sure I could do it!!!!

rainman 03-14-2009 08:45 PM

Fafa

It is tuff my brother. Reallllllllly tuff. And when the shot dont happen well guess what. Its crazy but be persistant it will happen

Monie 03-15-2009 03:31 PM

We viewers do not believe that the only person in the woods is that hunter. I like to hear the congratulations. I KNOW the cameraman/woman is there. DUH. How else would we get to see that tape? This is one of the reason's I like to watch Primos.

So, yes, by all means include the chatter between hunter and cameraman.

TBow 03-15-2009 10:53 PM

I agree with those have suggested they didn't want to hear the cameraman, er I mean cameraperson (or even a guide for that matter of fact), tell the hunter / shooter when to shoot. I'll even add a little more to that, I also don't want to hear the hunter ask the cameraperson if they have the game animal on film in order to give them the nod to shoot. And for cryin' out loud, don't be turning around to look at the cameraperson for approval to proceed when the game is right in front of you. OH YA, that looks like reality in a true hunting situation!

I can't believe that in this day and age of modern technology, that someone can't come up with a silent, and unseen method allowing the team of the shooter and the cameraperson to be on the same page as to when or when not to shoot. Like good grief, we use laser range finders that allow us to know the exact distance to within inches to any item or game within 1000 yards of us. We use digital cameras that provide countless opportunities to film and also edit to an amazing degree. We gather information from trail cameras and monitors for 24 hours per day that can all be downloaded onto a tiny little chip then onto a portable laptop. And any or all of these goodies can be powered by solar energy and use LEDs, silicone technology and even transmissions utilizing satilite communications.

And then we still hear someone say outloud in a hunting situation, "O.K. You can shoot now". Or else we hear the hunter say, "Have you got the shot? Can I shoot now?" YEE GADS!

Could it not be as simple as having a small transmitter operated by the cameraperson that would turn on, or illuminate the outer sight guard ring, or an LED indicator in or around a scope or gun sights that would show the hunter that the game animal was on film and the hunter had the nod to let 'er fly?

Or even use two cell phones both set to vibrate. One in the hunter's pocket and the other preset to dial the hunter's cell number when the game is in frame. When the hunter's cell phone is vibrating, he/she can shoot.........OH wait! That might not work. Some hunter's might be too distracted with other things on their minds! ;)

I too get a kick out of the banter between the hunter and cameraperson in the tree stand or on the ground when no animal is in sight, or after the shot is taken. But when the animal is in view....SHHHHHHHHHHHH! Be vewy quiet! We're hunting wabbits!

And like OMG! Viewers can tell when emotions are genuine or a "put on"! Keep it real. If your emotions and reactions explode for real, then let 'er roll! Don't script the after shot reactions or the downed animal scene. A hunter displaying what is perceived as faked reactions by jumping up and down, sceaming nonsensical cries and trying to give high 5s to a guide who hasn't got the foggiest clue what they're doing, is lame! Plain and simple!

TBow

firediver 03-16-2009 06:32 AM

An animal right in front of the hunter may not be in position for the cameraman. There could be a number of things in the way...a limb/branch, trees, even the hunter. And....even if the animal is in plain view of the cameraman, he may not be ready for the shot. He may be trying to position the camera so both hunter and animal are in the frame, he may be zoomed in tight on the animal to show off a cool feature, etc. etc. When the hunter asks "are you on him"...he is really asking..."are you on him....are you recording....are you framed and ready for the shot....focus good....ect, etc." A lot of things are happening in a short time for both cameraman and hunter leading up to the shot. A lot of time and effort has been invested to get to that point and we surely don't want to blow it!!!!

As far as communication between hunter and cameraman...there is nothing more reliable than the human voice. When I first started filming hunts, I thought a small light or other signaling device would be great. Then I got some experience and realized that it just wouldn't work. The hunter needs to have his eyes focused on the animal while using his ears to get the OK to shoot. KISS method applies here IMHO.

Besides, out of all of the electronic gadgets I own and use, the human senses are still the most reliable.

And then we still hear someone say outloud in a hunting situation, "O.K. You can shoot now". Or else we hear the hunter say, "Have you got the shot? Can I shoot now?" YEE GADS!

If we don't get the shot.....you don't get to see it!!!!

I totally agree with you on the "FAKE" stuff. Keep it real!!!!

TBow 03-16-2009 11:02 AM

fd,
Thank goodness you added to your post. The original was:

"Hey TBow.....Nevermind"

That near drove me nuts all morning until I read your explanation! :D

And yes I can appreciate the technical quirks that my suggestion could pose and also the wasted $$$$ if the shot wasn't usable for the show. As always, there is always two sides to the story (hey didn't Paul Harvey say that?) and mine was just from the viewer's perspective!

Note well taken!

TBow