Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Ralph, Vicki & The Posse (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need help for finding Sheds (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2571)

PAdroptine 02-16-2009 03:26 PM

Need help for finding Sheds

I have been looking for sheds for 3 years but have never found any. Any suggestions on where I should look to be successful in finding some?

oneshot 02-16-2009 08:16 PM

Hey Alec glad to see your out shed hunting. The first thing we do is figure out where the deer are beding and feeding at the time of year when they are droping antlers then look in those areas and everywhere in between. Sometines we find them in wheat fields,corn fields which is where our deer are feeding in Jan. and Feb. We also find them on trails between beding and feeding areas and sometines they loose them very near there beds. Fence or creek crossings where they jump ofter jar them off. Just remember a feeding area they used in Nov. may not be used in Jan. same for a beding area for example in Nov. our deer bed on ridge top thickets and creek bottom thickets in Jan. and Feb. the tend to bed on the south side of the ridges and somewhat more open areas so they can be in the warm sun, but during times of very cold weather with high winds they will bed in places where they are out of the wind. The best advice is look everywhere you can. Just rember the amount of bucks your area carries over is a big factor on how many sheds there are out there to find. Good luck and hope this helps.

buckfever7 02-17-2009 07:52 PM

Yep, figure out the bedding and feeding this time of year and hit em hard. Found one this evening right on the edge of one our destination food plots in beans this year, they have desimated it over the last month. Good luck!

PAdroptine 02-17-2009 08:18 PM

Thanks Terry; Ill try it out. Ill keep you posted if I get any. Did you find any yet this year?

oneshot 02-17-2009 10:10 PM

I haven't been out yet but Kim and the kids found two so far.

MCFantail 02-17-2009 11:06 PM

Ive been out a couple of times this year. yet to find any though. Guys are finding some good ones though. Had one near hear that scored 98 inches

:cool:

OhioCooner 02-18-2009 09:03 AM

Check Fence Crossings also. I found my biggest shed to date right along an old fence along the edge of the woods.

MOvenatic 02-18-2009 02:56 PM

I got this tip from someone does a lot of shed hunting. Go looking after a rain. If you think about it, what do the deer do when it's raining? They're shaking the rain off of them. Ever watch your dog shaking water off of them? They are shaking the heads quite a bit.

PAdroptine 02-18-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneshot (Post 29256)
I haven't been out yet but Kim and the kids found two so far.

Thats awesome

PAdroptine 02-18-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOvenatic (Post 29305)
I got this tip from someone does a lot of shed hunting. Go looking after a rain. If you think about it, what do the deer do when it's raining? They're shaking the rain off of them. Ever watch your dog shaking water off of them? They are shaking the heads quite a bit.

great tip ill try it out