Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recipe Book (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Coconut Cream Pie (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2567)

OhioCooner 02-16-2009 07:04 AM

Coconut Cream Pie

Does anyone have a good Coconut Cream Pie recipe? Maybe one that is comparable to Marie Calander (sp?) ?? My gosh are her pies delicious! :D
Anywho, I'm just looking for a nice as pie recipe.
Thanks!

TxStarr 05-21-2009 09:07 AM

This is how my grandmother made coconut pie, this is how I make it and making it always brings back memories—some poignant and some hilarious. When I was dating my husband, my MIL and I decided to buy a coconut and make fresh coconut cream pie. We couldn't get the darn thing to crack so we took it to the garage and used a drill press to drill a hole in the end (we washed the drill bit first though!). Then we had to get the meat out of the coconut. I still have a scar in the palm of my hand where I stuck the knife in my hand!! We used the milk from the coconut for most of the milk called for in the recipe, grated the coconut, and used some of the coconut milk instead of vanilla flavoring in the meringue. It was fabulous!! But, sadly, it was a one time only thing. I refuse to risk another scar on my hands!!!!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
4 eggs
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup flaked coconut
1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from heat.
Separate the egg yolks from whites. Beat the egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes before removing the pan from heat.
Stir butter, vanilla, and coconut into the hot mixture. Pour the hot filling into the baked pie crust.

Meringue

4 egg whites
6 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
pinch of salt

In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. In a second bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the sugar mixture, a little at a time, to the egg whites, beating between additions. Continue to beat until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the meringue over the hot pie filling. Sprinkle with coconut and bake for a few minutes in the oven to brown the top of the meringue (I usually do about 10 minutes at 375 but every oven is different).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I promise Marie Callendar can't hold a candle to this one (well, maybe in time but not taste!!).

coorsdrifter 06-07-2009 07:16 AM

Should have tried the trick of holding the coconut in one hand and cracking it with a machete....works on T.V:D

tiplernorth 06-09-2009 01:39 PM

thanks for the recipe ,

OhioCooner 06-12-2009 06:39 PM

Haven't been on in a while! Thanks So Much for the recipe Starr!! I don't think I'll try using fresh coconut though... :D .... My drill bits and machete are a little too rusty for my liking! :D
I'm going to have to try this real soon.