Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   BND - Bear'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   bear bait barrels (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2543)

timba 02-06-2009 09:26 PM

bear bait barrels

This is probably a stupid question but do you think there is a need for making bear bait barrels.The reason I ask this is my father in law has a rotational molding set up were I could custom make barrels and deer feeders.Myself I would like to have a plastic barrel that had a hinged lid on the top and different size barrels.

timba

ladybowhntr 02-07-2009 05:22 AM

Depends if they are legal in your area. They are not in WI.

Liege 02-25-2009 02:50 PM

How much would it cost to make them up? A hinged lid would be awesome. I would also look at a smaller barrel/box for beaver carcasses, rigged up so that you could chain it to a tree. Something like that would have been pretty handy when a guy was guiding for a living.

Gord

timba 02-27-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liege (Post 29787)
How much would it cost to make them up? A hinged lid would be awesome. I would also look at a smaller barrel/box for beaver carcasses, rigged up so that you could chain it to a tree. Something like that would have been pretty handy when a guy was guiding for a living.

Gord

I guess the cost would depend on how many I could sell to make it worth while to have the mold made.I'll ask the father in law what he thinks,he has had a plastic's company for a few years.I think the bigest cost of setting up is the mold after that there isn't much too it.

timba

CajunCrossbow 02-27-2009 10:44 PM

i dont lik them bera none. they can put a smak on you.

Liege 02-28-2009 08:39 AM

Bears are lots of fun to hunt, you just have to have a healthy respect for them and understand that you have to be prepared for the unexpected. I agree they can be, and are dangerous, just be prepared. Having said that, there's no rush like a bear standing up on your ladder for a closer look(?). One of my guides sat with a hunter one night; two different stands, two trees, about five feet apart. A young boar came in, acting ornery, and that bear came right up the tree steps to the very bottom of the guide's stand in the blink of an eye. The hunter reached out with his rifle and shot the bear when he reached over the edge of the stand. Exciting (?!??), to say the least. Personally, this is the kind of thing thaty keeps me coming back to the woods. You just never know what's going to happen out there.

Gord

timba 02-28-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liege (Post 30005)
Bears are lots of fun to hunt, you just have to have a healthy respect for them and understand that you have to be prepared for the unexpected. I agree they can be, and are dangerous, just be prepared. Having said that, there's no rush like a bear standing up on your ladder for a closer look(?). One of my guides sat with a hunter one night; two different stands, two trees, about five feet apart. A young boar came in, acting ornery, and that bear came right up the tree steps to the very bottom of the guide's stand in the blink of an eye. The hunter reached out with his rifle and shot the bear when he reached over the edge of the stand. Exciting (?!??), to say the least. Personally, this is the kind of thing thaty keeps me coming back to the woods. You just never know what's going to happen out there.

Gord

this bear came up to me stand twice last spring

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/r...rent=bear2.flv

Liege 02-28-2009 12:47 PM

How do you place/use your beaver carcasses? I was thinking of getting some boxes welded up using angle iron and expanded metal, and with a 6' chain so it could be fastened to a tree.

Gord

timba 02-28-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liege (Post 30015)
How do you place/use your beaver carcasses? I was thinking of getting some boxes welded up using angle iron and expanded metal, and with a 6' chain so it could be fastened to a tree.

Gord

this will be the first year I use beavers(a guy gave me 6 ).I was going to run a rope at 7' high and hange the beavers but I like that idea of the box.I think I would make mine to lag bolt to the side of a tree with a hinge lid on the top to drop the beavers in.How big would you biuld your boxes?This might be a good excuse to be a mig welder.

Liege 02-28-2009 05:28 PM

The boxes should be about 2'x18"x12". I would use a chain because they will pull it off the tree. They tend to beat the boxes around quite a bit trying to get the beaver out. The holes should be just big enough so that he can only get little pieces of the beaver out at any given time. This will keep him coming back.

Gord