Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Yote hunting anybody enjoy it! (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2524)

Bow Drawn 02-02-2009 02:01 PM

Yote hunting anybody enjoy it!
 
I have a question for you asking for little help about calling the yotes into the open. There are several types of calls that kinds fall into a category of a yote bark or howl or a hurt prey animal like a cottontail or jack rabbit squalls. When is the best time of the day for hunting them? How do you start out your sequence of calling? I realize setting up on good vantage point and the wind in your face is the utmost importance with staying hidden.

This is for me to start around here hopefully very soon.

Colorado Rick 02-02-2009 02:40 PM

Always good to call just at dawn or just before dusk.

This info was given to me by Professional Predator hunter friends in Texas.


The question was how long do you let an electroinic call play:

What you need to do is let the sound play for no more than a minute or two then wait a few minutes then play it again. If you are hunting public land you should try a different sound because public land gets hammered and those coyotes have heard that sound over and over again. Try using something off the wall that they may not heard before, it doesn't even have to be a native to your area. Also dont sit in the same spot every time you go.

This ties in, and I was asking how long to sit a spot before moving on:

A half hour on one spot is a long time. Wait more like 20 minutes. That's enough for any interested coyotes to get there. Quietly set up, do your calling, and quietly move to another spot. Cover more country, maybe see more coyotes. Above all, don't get discouraged. once the first one comes in, you'll be hooked.

I use a tally ho call. it's usually sold for five or six dollars, open reed so a little harder to use, but its very manageable with a little practice. The cheap ones sound like crap and produce same.


Also make sure you set up on any dirt roads or two-track you can find. Yotes are opportunistic and will eat anything easy to get. They don't really want to travel through cover much.

It can be quite a challenge because they see you well before you see them. I am working on a Guille suit right now just for Yote hunting.

Good luck!

timba 02-02-2009 11:46 PM

I hunt them when I can get out,I bought a fox pro caller this month.I haven't gotten out alot with it but I did this weekend have 2 coyotes appear after about 15 min of using it,I'm still up in the air if its worth the 550$ I paid for it.

One thing I've been told is(if you see one) when there not moving you don't move,they will pick you up in a second but if they running you can get away with moving around a bit.

I agree I think the early morning is the best time for calling,I find the wind my worst problem for a good set up.

Bow Drawn 02-03-2009 10:34 AM

Good information thanks for replying Timba and Rick. :cool:

Colorado Rick 02-03-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timba (Post 28769)
I find the wind my worst problem for a good set up.

Yeah no joke.

I have been told to douse myself in cover scent. Not a plug here, but I really like the Fresh Earth spray and disc's from Hunter's Specialties.

Lisa, Hoosier Huntress, says she uses all of the disc's in the container and the spray too if I remember right. She's a pretty successful hunter so I would hesitate to argue the point with her. We were talking about hnting something other than Yotes at the time, but I'd bet she would still suggest it.

MJewell 02-03-2009 07:14 PM

I'm going to try them alittle later on in the winter once icefishing has finished up here. But for right now I'm just going to keep the traps and snares out as I have already got five now Just got an big male today that I've got to skin and stretch tomorrow.

Matt

timba 02-03-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Rick (Post 28785)
Yeah no joke.

I have been told to douse myself in cover scent. Not a plug here, but I really like the Fresh Earth spray and disc's from Hunter's Specialties.

Lisa, Hoosier Huntress, says she uses all of the disc's in the container and the spray too if I remember right. She's a pretty successful hunter so I would hesitate to argue the point with her. We were talking about hnting something other than Yotes at the time, but I'd bet she would still suggest it.

I never thought of using my fresh earth scent,I use them for everything else.I'm going to give that a try,thanks

timba

timba 02-03-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJewell (Post 28809)
I'm going to try them alittle later on in the winter once icefishing has finished up here. But for right now I'm just going to keep the traps and snares out as I have already got five now Just got an big male today that I've got to skin and stretch tomorrow.

Matt

Are the coyotes worth much there?We are only getting 10$ each for unskined ones.

timba

yote hunter 02-04-2009 07:38 PM

Bow Drawn,

Our coyotes are mating right now and howls work very well.
You have to get to where you are going to call undetected,
and call off and on for at least 45 minutes(we kill a lot of coyotes
at 35 to forty minutes) They will respond to a howl from a mile away and you have to give them time to get there. Try not to use rabbit sounds, a fawn
in distress works much better) Be sure you have very good visibility down wind because that is where the couote wants to get to so he can confirm with his nose what his ears are telling him.
I do coyote control work. if you have more questions please feel free to contact me at dmunch1@msn.com
yote hunter
Posse Member
Dan Thompson Game Calls Pro Staff

Bow Drawn 02-05-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yote hunter (Post 28852)
Bow Drawn,

Our coyotes are mating right now and howls work very well.
You have to get to where you are going to call undetected,
and call off and on for at least 45 minutes(we kill a lot of coyotes
at 35 to forty minutes) They will respond to a howl from a mile away and you have to give them time to get there. Try not to use rabbit sounds, a fawn
in distress works much better) Be sure you have very good visibility down wind because that is where the couote wants to get to so he can confirm with his nose what his ears are telling him.
I do coyote control work. if you have more questions please feel free to contact me at dmunch1@msn.com
yote hunter
Posse Member
Dan Thompson Game Calls Pro Staff

I was thinking they started their mating season about now, thanks for the input that should be a huge help. I have a great fawn in distress call that I have used to bring in doe. I have a fawn decoy too. This should be a fun hunt.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2014 Archers Choice Media, Inc.