Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hook, Line & Sinker (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   ice fishing (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2348)

FFAHunter 12-18-2008 10:15 PM

ice fishing

anyone here ice fish... i havent been out yet this year... how are they biting

burrhead 12-19-2008 08:05 AM

I haven't made it out yet, but its definatley getting to be that time. They have been catching some perch, crappie and walleyes around the area.

FFAHunter 12-19-2008 08:38 AM

good luck when you do get out

ts nodak 12-19-2008 04:33 PM

I went out a couple times early December and nailed a few Northern Pike with tip ups. Made a few jars of pickled fish that gotta say turned out GREAT!!!!
I've got all the jigging rods and portable house ready, just haven't had time to get out yet though. Sounds like another blizzard headed our way for the weekend!!! Got much snow in SD Burrhead?? How bout where you're at FFA?

Monie 12-20-2008 11:27 AM

:eek::eek::eek: I just LUUUUUUUVVVVVVV pickled fish, specifically herring!

I'm gonna have to take a trip north

FFAHunter 12-21-2008 10:43 PM

we have about ten inches on the ground and about two inches of ice under neath that before you hit ground. we had a storm last week that dropped two inches of freezing rain and then eight inches of snow and now it is sub zero temps with wicked wind. its been fun. im looking to head out fishing with a friend later this week. whats the best way to get northern through ice. we both have tip ups just bad luck. what bait do you use and in how deep of water ... i think we fish too deep
good luck

ts nodak 12-22-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFAHunter (Post 27227)
whats the best way to get northern through ice. we both have tip ups just bad luck. what bait do you use and in how deep of water ... i think we fish too deep
good luck

Most lakes I fish Northerns aren't very deep. I fish anywhere from 3' deep to 6'. The lake I fished last was only 9-10 feet at the deepest. I like to use smelt . Just drop the line down until it hits the bottom and put 2 wraps on the tip up spool. That will put you about 6" off the bottom. In North Dakota you can have 4 lines each in the winter, so we can cover a pretty good area with tip ups.

burrhead 12-22-2008 08:47 AM

TSNodak, I'm not sure how much snow we have, but the drifts are getting out of hand, another blizzard this weekend and the roads are getting all drifted in, its going to be a long winter of moving snow, the wind just won't stop blowing.:mad: Looking forward to the Devils lake tourney, got our tickets and rooms.:D

ts nodak 12-22-2008 10:40 AM

Yeah the snow is going to be a problem!!! Once a guy gets on he'll be ok, but the edges are going to be full of snow!!:mad: They're talking another four or so for us tonight!

I think with the temps., blowing snow, it's not going to be a lot of fishing for me this winter. We do have a couples weekend planned for up at LOW in March that should be a blast. Nothing like tossing back a little schnapps and then having the Bombardier be your designate ride!!!!:D

You ever get up there Burr.?

burrhead 12-22-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts nodak (Post 27248)
Yeah the snow is going to be a problem!!! Once a guy gets on he'll be ok, but the edges are going to be full of snow!!:mad: They're talking another four or so for us tonight!

I think with the temps., blowing snow, it's not going to be a lot of fishing for me this winter. We do have a couples weekend planned for up at LOW in March that should be a blast. Nothing like tossing back a little schnapps and then having the Bombardier be your designate ride!!!!:D

You ever get up there Burr.?

Never been there, but heard alot of good things about it, would like to try it sometime. I heard they treat you good and good fishing, whats your experiance?