Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   SWD - Severe Whitetail Disorders (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wounded Deer Question (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2317)

OhioCooner 12-10-2008 08:38 AM

Wounded Deer Question

First, I didn't wound any deer.

This happened on the opening day of Gun Season. I was sitting in my stand all morning and then my Bro in Law decided to join me on the property. So I got out of my stand and came back to the house as I would need to show him where his stand would be. As I got back to the house I looked out the window and noticed a small Brown Blob clear in the back of our field oppisite of where my stand is, but close to where I was going to stick the BIL. I watch it for 10-15 minutes, it's just laying there, not moving. I figure we have a dead deer, probably a fawn. The BIL arrives and I tell him that I would drive him back on the 4-wheeler and get him in the stand and we'll also swing over and see if this brown thing is indeed a dead deer.
So we hop on the 4-wheeler and we get about half way back there and I notice the dead deer picks its head up! I slow to a crawl and tell the BIL that he may have to finish this deer off. (He's never shot a deer before so he was elated that he might have one of his tags filled already) I no sooner finish that sentace and I notice that the deer tries to get up. :confused: I stop the 4-wheeler and say we'll have to walk the rest of the way and get behind this deer so we don't spook it too bad before we finish it.
I'll be darn if that thing didn't get it's feet under itself and start running for the woods before I even put it in park.
It appeared that it had a busted front leg as it zipped away. I could also see it was probably a 1 1/2 yr old buck.

Here's what I don't get. Why would this deer lay out in a wide open field? It had woods on 3 sides of it, all within about 100yards and also a brush pile within 50yards. I've never seen a wounded deer lay in the open like that. Just didn't make sense to me.

MJewell 12-10-2008 05:06 PM

I've seen them do the same thing afew years back. Figured that it was so it had a good field of view. Managed to finish that deer off after I got it back into the bush where I could get close enough to finish the job.

Matt

OhioCooner 12-11-2008 07:38 AM

We tried to track this one once it got into the woods, however, it was getting some good jumps in and was out of sight long before we had our guns loaded.
I'm guessing that whoever shot it was probably dogging it hard for awhile, so maybe that was why it chose the open. And like you mentioned it would have a good view if they continued after it.

Adam 12-11-2008 10:39 AM

I think MJewell is right, if that deer is in the brush and something comes up on it, it would have a hard time getting up to get away in time. By laying in the field, it was able to see danger from a long ways away (you) and was able to get up and get going before you were able to close in on it.

FFAHunter 12-11-2008 05:49 PM

ya what they said, during our states gun season i always go see what my cousins got about ten miles down the road and the biggest buck i see every year will be bedded in a cut cornfield somewhere along the way. the one this year was literally forty yards in the back of someones house, who i know was hunting in the woods next to us. they can just see forever. a lot of big bucks make it through shotgun season around us by laying in fields all the time