Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   encore missfires (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2269)

encore 11-26-2008 01:52 PM

encore missfires

had the gun for three years now with no problems,this year i put the 30-06 barrel on and went north, while sighting it in it would miss fire every second or thrid shot ,just a small dent in the primer, if i cocked it again and shot it would go off. my son had to cock it twice to shoot his buck. called TC and they said it was from using a hammer extention. the weight of the extention would cause it to hit the primer light and not flat in the center of the firing pin. the extention is made of aluminum not very heavy.they said the problem would get worse with time.never had a problem the last two years.just does'nt make sense to me the answer they gave.seems more to me like the problem would be more in the strength of the hammer spring. maybe they had a load of bad ones.anyone ever have this happen? i don't need to have the big one in sight and the gun go click!

Va Hunter 11-26-2008 02:27 PM

I had an Encore with a extension on it. Though the Encore is gone, I think the extension is still in a box somewhere on my loading bench. It didn't take me long to pull it off! My rifle went from being okay to firing when it wanted to, like you stated. While it may be an issue with the hammer spring, which TC would probably replace under thier warranty, I'd try it without the extension first. I realize that a gloved hand can't get under the scope very well without it but it can be done.

Wonder if they can or would replace your original hammer with one of the new swingout ones? They knew they had a problem or they wouldn't have developed this new style hammer...Just a thought?

encore 11-26-2008 04:53 PM

if you send them the frame they can replace it with the swing hammer,new springs etc. for around $70.00. a company like that that i'm pretty sure has other people complaining about the same thing, should give some kind of a deal to their customers!

Colorado Rick 11-26-2008 05:08 PM

At first I thought you were talking about a hunting incident!

oneshot 11-26-2008 09:11 PM

I haven't had a problem with my pro hunter but it has the swing hammer. I know they will put a swing hammer on at TC for a price.

encore 11-27-2008 08:21 AM

rick i probably should of phrased it --encore's encore missfires

encore 11-28-2008 12:10 PM

just got done with looking at my gun again, i cut some strips of aluminum from a pop can and put one over the firing pin hole, held it there with some rolled up paper towel and my finger, pulled the trigger and checked the dent, i did this twelve times ,then i backed out the trigger stop screw ,(which TC said wasn't the problem) and did it to tweve more, then i took off the hammer extention and did it twelve more times, the strips measured 4-1/2 thous. thick ,the first twelve ,measuring the dent measured between 25-29 thous. the other twelve after backing out the screw measured between 35-40 thous. they measured the same without the extention. i put primers in 50 empty cases , everyone went off after the screw adjustment. next i'll load up some live rounds and head for the range.hopefully this solves my problem---tom

Flintlock1776 11-30-2008 05:39 PM

Did I see the same topic on another forum or is this a new issue?

encore 11-30-2008 08:45 PM

probably the same one, i put it on a few different one's to get more input.

oneshot 12-03-2008 08:37 PM

A friend of mine just called he is having the same problem with his encore. He told me what it was doing and it sounds just like yours. Keep us posted on what you find so I can let him know.