Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   BND - Bear'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   bears, bears, bears (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2186)

John Souza 11-10-2008 07:02 PM

bears, bears, bears

We just finished our season (I did at least) and can't believe how many bears I have seen this year. We saw 10 + bears this year. Oregon fish and wildlife says the population is probably over 40,000...considering half the state is high desert with no bears. We have a ton on this side of the mountain. I have seen 3 bears over 350lbs with skulls 20+ not including mine that was 21+...If you guys are looking to hunt bruins,,this is a great state for it in the spring!!

Bow Drawn 11-11-2008 09:49 AM

John just off the cuff do you know a good outfitter there or what the out of State fees are to hunt bears there?

John Souza 11-11-2008 02:14 PM

Bear hunting in oregon..

I know a couple of guides..It just depends on "how" you want to hunt. Most of the hunting here in Oregon is spot and stalk. The "non-resident" liscense is $76.00 and a black bear tag is $151.00. You have to put in for the spring tag in advance because they cap the number of tags for spring. Fall is right over the counter. The couple of guides I know run a success rate of about 80-90%!! For spot and stalk that is huge. I see several "shooters" every season. That would be bears in the 300lb range with skulls or 18 inches.
Steve Happenstahl is a excellent guide for blacktails and bears. I can get you his number if you are interested. :)

Colorado Rick 11-11-2008 02:20 PM

Man that's awesome info John.

If Timba can't get that land set up he's been after, I might just try for one of those you listed.

John Souza 11-13-2008 02:57 PM

I have hunted bears all over north america(including canada). For spot and stalk, this is the best you get except Alaska. And a fraction of the price!!::)

Bow Drawn 11-17-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Souza (Post 25434)
I know a couple of guides..It just depends on "how" you want to hunt. Most of the hunting here in Oregon is spot and stalk. The "non-resident" liscense is $76.00 and a black bear tag is $151.00. You have to put in for the spring tag in advance because they cap the number of tags for spring. Fall is right over the counter. The couple of guides I know run a success rate of about 80-90%!! For spot and stalk that is huge. I see several "shooters" every season. That would be bears in the 300lb range with skulls or 18 inches.
Steve Happenstahl is a excellent guide for blacktails and bears. I can get you his number if you are interested. :)

Thanks. Sure would be worth looking into. I have done it over bait and have watched a few s & s shows for bears with a bow and that has to be just as nerve rattling if not more so than watching over a bait. And the price is real good in comparison to some other hunts.

Flintlock1776 11-23-2008 11:05 AM

Well, at least you can hunt them! I have so many bears on my land but in NJ the PETA idiots got our Wall Street Gov. to pass a bear hunting ban:mad:

nova scotia 11-23-2008 05:06 PM

Bow hunted bears for a few years now and this year here in nova scotia was the most bears iv seen not alot of hunters chasing bears here

BRIAN34 11-24-2008 08:28 AM

That has been my dream since I started bowhunting, to shoot a bear with my bow. That has got to be a rush!!!!! Those tags seem very reasonable. Great info! :D

Monie 11-24-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Souza (Post 25434)

OK you got me excited!!! Shoot me this guy's info, please!