Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   BND - Bear'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone been to upper...very upper Saskatchewan? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2167)

broadfieldpoint 11-04-2008 07:21 PM

Anyone been to upper...very upper Saskatchewan?
 
Going to Carswell lake in May 2009...anyone know anything about this lake and area?

timba 11-06-2008 07:59 AM

I googled it but can't find it any were.Is it north of la ronge?The father in law has a cabin west of la ronge( on besnard lake) and there is a pile of bears there.

timba

broadfieldpoint 11-06-2008 08:14 AM

I am told this is above the Cluff lake mine. Supposedly at the end of the road. I talked to several references who said it is a 4 hour drive on a dirt road at the end of the world. The bears? Unreal reports is what i am getting. I have hunted in Alberta and manitoba every year and have had some ups and downs with outfitters. Trying Saskatchewan for the first time next spring.

Bow Drawn 11-06-2008 09:50 AM

Well La Ronge seems like the end of the road when driving up north from Saskatoon. It's around 4 hours driving time too. I've hunt bear there fall and spring season but I flew out of La Ronge N.W. to a great outfitter with lots of bears and grand fishing.

timba 11-06-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadfieldpoint (Post 25260)
I am told this is above the Cluff lake mine. Supposedly at the end of the road. I talked to several references who said it is a 4 hour drive on a dirt road at the end of the world. The bears? Unreal reports is what i am getting. I have hunted in Alberta and manitoba every year and have had some ups and downs with outfitters. Trying Saskatchewan for the first time next spring.


That is a long way north:eek: were will you fly too fort McMurray then drive across in to sask?

There should be a lot of bears that far north,if you come straight south for 16 hours(drive) on the map to llyodminster I hunt bear just 40 min north of there.

timba

timba 11-06-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bow Drawn (Post 25264)
Well La Ronge seems like the end of the road when driving up north from Saskatoon. It's around 4 hours driving time too. I've hunt bear there fall and spring season but I flew out of La Ronge N.W. to a great outfitter with lots of bears and grand fishing.

just before you get to la Ronge if you headed north west for 1.5 hours that where the cabin is.That is a long drive that I wouldn't want to have truck trouble on.

timba

broadfieldpoint 11-06-2008 04:47 PM

This is about 6 hours north of Buffalo Narrows...I believe that La Ronge is more central, this is Northwest. It is the most northern road on the western portion of the province. Evidently, there are a couple of uranium mines along the way. Absolutely no towns or settlements on this lonely dirt road. As a trophy bear hunter, this of course translates into utter remoteness and zero hunting pressure. All of this added together becomes a great combination for trophy bear.

Bow Drawn 11-07-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timba (Post 25269)
just before you get to la Ronge if you headed north west for 1.5 hours that where the cabin is.That is a long drive that I wouldn't want to have truck trouble on.

timba

That road I remember seeing Timba. There isn't many turn off once you're up there. And I agree once you leave off that main drag your in back country. We flew over some small roads going out to the lodge and nothing around them, not even a building or home.

Same as what broadfieldpoint is saying
Quote:

All of this added together becomes a great combination for trophy bear.

broadfieldpoint 11-07-2008 04:28 PM

I looked on my map and saw the road that you guys are talking about. That particular road actually goes farther north (besides winter road) than the road that I am referring to. The road that I am talking about goes out of "La Longe"....I believe that this is the last town until you get to Cluff lake which is a old uranium mine. Carswell lake is on the other side of the mine. I dont think I have heard or seen more remote country without using a fly in location. Extremely remote.

timba 11-11-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadfieldpoint (Post 25274)
This is about 6 hours north of Buffalo Narrows...I believe that La Ronge is more central, this is Northwest. It is the most northern road on the western portion of the province. Evidently, there are a couple of uranium mines along the way. Absolutely no towns or settlements on this lonely dirt road. As a trophy bear hunter, this of course translates into utter remoteness and zero hunting pressure. All of this added together becomes a great combination for trophy bear.


If it was me and I could afford it,I would book with Jim Shockey on vancouver island thats where you get the huge black bears.

timba


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2014 Archers Choice Media, Inc.