Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   SWD - Severe Whitetail Disorders (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   bad weekend (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2103)

FFAHunter 10-26-2008 07:29 PM

bad weekend

1 Attachment(s)
so i have trail camera pictures of three big bucks on the property i hunt and i really wanted to get a crack at one of them this year... well it happened. afternoon hunt about 5:45 i turned to see a big 8point walking to me. i got up and pulled back and took the shot presented to me. im not quite sure what went wrong but i know i hit him. my dad and i followed him for 85 yards and lost the trail. we found 8 big puddles of blood and then nothing. we waited for 2 hours to go get him because my arrow had fat on it so i thought i might have gut shot him. after 80 yards, the blood just stopped. it started as dropps and turned into puddles with chunks of fat in it, and then nothing. we went back this morning to look for him. we walked for 4.5 hours looking and found no more blood then we found the night before. here he is, he wouldve been my best deer by far

timba 10-27-2008 09:36 AM

thats too bad you couldn't find him,I had that happen to me too with a doe a few weeks ago.

YorkArcher 10-27-2008 11:52 AM

If you haven't had it happen, you probably will have it happen....

All you can do is respect the animal enough to do everything you can to try and recover it....

Once you have exhausted all of your choices...

pick up your bow...

learn from the experience....

get back in the stand!!!!!

ladybowhntr 10-27-2008 06:52 PM

I wouldn't give up so soon. It's cold enough the meat will last. Look for crows, they may give him up for you and you will get your trophy afterall!!!!

bullmoose38 10-27-2008 07:07 PM

Hang in there buddy! I know how you feel. I wounded my first deer ever this year with the bow and it bothers the heck out of me. Its part of the game I guess. Lift your head up and get back in the tree. It sounds like you gave it all you had to look for him.

J.Harvey 10-27-2008 09:29 PM

do you have any near bye water sources, if it was a gut shot deer that is where i would be looking

youngbuck83 10-28-2008 06:26 AM

Jeff, If you don't find him...start looking for buzzards in a few days...or pay attention to that "dead smell" when your sitting in your stand. Bullmoose and I find a few every year just with our noses or by seeing buzzards and going to take a look. At least you could tag him if you find him even though the meat wouldn't be any good. Best of luck to you!

OhioCooner 10-28-2008 08:36 AM

Most likely the fat could have "clogged" the wound whish is why you can't find any more blood. But if you found puddles of blood he should be around there somewhere. Definitely keep an eye out for buzzards.

FFAHunter 10-30-2008 02:27 PM

i have been out looking three more times for him and he is completly gone. no buzzards or crows, and i have walked all the water ways for a mile that are even remotely close to the property. when i was shooting my bow, i was six inches low at that distance. but since i was shooting out of a tree, wont the arrow fly high anyways... i dont know...with all the fat on my arrow, i think i went behind the heart and below all other vitals buy an inch or two. i was just so confident in the shot i dont know what went wrong. darn

Monie 10-30-2008 02:29 PM

If you don't know your yardage from your tree, it can be very easy to shoot over a deer.

I'm sorry you can't find him. That really stinks.