Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Archery changed me forever (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2101)

SunRiverMan 10-25-2008 12:59 PM

Archery changed me forever

I was a rifle hunter that ended up in a bow shop one day last year. I was looking at a Hoyt Vectrix when I pulled back to see how it felt. I didn't know. So someone bumps my elbow and wham, dryfire. The place was full of people and went dead silent. I looked up and said, "I'll take it!" At least it was their flagship bow and could handle a dryfire.

Now, my second bow season I can't rifle hunt anymore, even during the General season. I've only taken two deer, a small buck and a doe, but have been trying for a monster in a no firearms area. I am even bow hunting during the rifle season.

It gets worse. I must have that Hoyt Alphamax by next season. I never dream about things, but this bow is in my dreams. Something is screaming to my primal man about perfection.

I am SunRiverMan and I am a bow hunter. SRM

YorkArcher 10-25-2008 02:52 PM

Welcome to the club!!!

Greywolf 10-26-2008 01:25 PM

It's a great place to be. Lots of excellent people in our little world.

It'll only get better, there are still things to explore and find out. but for now, enjoy! I know we are.

Monie 10-26-2008 02:08 PM

lol...welcome!!

Bowhunting is way better than anything that I can think of!

SunRiverMan 10-26-2008 10:58 PM

I could of took a shot at a nice whitetail with long tines today. I drew back when he was at 50 yards and thought better of it. The max I shoot is 40 yards. Maybe next time. It was a great day seeing over 34 deer and three good bucks and a spike. I love bow hunting. SRM

deanhedge 10-28-2008 08:47 AM

Welcome...glad to hear that Hoyt was your first love(hopefully your only)! Supposedly...Hoyt dry fires every new bow 1500 times and it will not make it into production if it shows any signs of damage at the end of the test! Im not saying this is done to every bow b4 it leaves...that would be crazy. Anonther dry fire story...Im standing in a pro shop in Illinois and A guy brings in a Diamond(by Bowtech)...the guys "brother" pulled it back and dry fired it and it splintered one of the limbs and sheared one of the cables! Maybe bad luck or bad quality? By the way im not dissing Bowtech...we all know they make great products.

MJewell 10-28-2008 08:58 AM

Archery has an way about doing that to an person. I personally don't pick up an gun inless it is an smokepole or my shotgun during turkey season. Have even had the luck this past spring to tag an gobbler with the bow. My next big challenage is to try an harvest an bull moose with the Bow one of these years also looking to tag an bull with the smokepole at some point.

Matt

SunRiverMan 10-28-2008 01:08 PM

I am scared to try the smokepole. I may never shoot a cartridge again. Then again, Jim Shockey does make it look exciting. SRM

YorkArcher 10-28-2008 01:15 PM

My brother is a black powder guy...

I've done it but don't like not being able to see after the shot...

northern_archer 10-28-2008 02:20 PM

welcome to the club and enjoy :)