Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkey Talk (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ground Blind (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2018)

COPPERDOG 10-04-2008 08:40 PM

Ground Blind

How many of you turkey hunters use a ground blind while turkey hunting?

I am considering purchasing one to use archery deer hunting (and turkey hunting) some mornings when I don't feel like using my climber on areas that would be suitable for a ground blind. In previous years on the public ground I hunt you were allowed to leave one stand durring bow season. This was nice being able to wank in to a stand carrying the bow and not mess with having to carry in and set up the climber.

If you do use a ground blind, what style, cheap, expensive?

A buddy of mine bow hunted with me for the first time this morning. He picked up a Turret XL off ebay new for $80. It seemed to be a pertty decent blind for the money. The only thing I would do to it is mud it to take the sheen off the material.

Brian

bullmoose38 10-04-2008 08:53 PM

Brian we use Ameristeps Choice blind and the Intimidator blind. They really work nice. A little more expensive then some but well worth it. Whatever you go with make sure you know you have enough room to draw your bow. I know a few people that bought one to find out its to small for them.

Flintlock1776 10-04-2008 09:42 PM

Got my best Turkey ever in Missouri. I used a ground blind and the story was written up in Buckmasters 8 years ago. Have not had as big a bird since but ground blinds are awesome! I use Double Bull's Matrix RECURVE model, harder to find but the highest ground blind out there and does not spook game but lets you stand and use bow to full draw with plenty of room to maneuver

COPPERDOG 10-11-2008 09:53 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.
I ordered an Ameristep Mirage groung blind.
I hope to have it by next weekend to give it a try.

Copperdog

COPPERDOG 10-12-2008 06:04 PM

Just cancelled the order on the Ameristep Mirage and picked up a new Ameristep Brickhouse 07 model for $79.99 with free shipping on ebay.
Rogers Sportinggoods in Missouri posted 11 available. In the first 15 minutes they were down to 9.

OhioCooner 10-14-2008 08:09 AM

I've never used one for Turkey hunting. I'm a Run n Gunner, so no room for one. Hope you get yourself a dandy out of the one you bought! :)

Colorado Rick 10-14-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioCooner (Post 23949)
I've never used one for Turkey hunting. I'm a Run n Gunner, so no room for one. Hope you get yourself a dandy out of the one you bought! :)

That's cuz you're young and sassy.

Wait til that metabolism slows down missy. Gravity sucks! :D

Keep us posted on the blind Brian. I'm looking too.

Flintlock1776 10-16-2008 07:26 PM

Today's blinds will all be fine although I lean towards BD blinds.

I got my turkey out of the old Ameristep Teepe pop up blind. Blind was Shiny & flappy & not overly roomy, not good for deer but worked fine on the biggest Turkey I ever got!

OhioCooner 10-17-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Rick (Post 23970)
That's cuz you're young and sassy.

Wait til that metabolism slows down missy. Gravity sucks! :D

LOl My dad still runs and guns, so I've got a while yet. :D Although, last night when I took off running after my coonhound I realized that carrying an extra 10 pounds (Nite Lite) can really slow you down. So I feel for you Rick! :D :rolleyes:

BRIAN34 11-28-2008 10:26 PM

you dont have your dogs broke to lead beside you...lol haha hard headed coondogs!!!!! :D