Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ok Pros... (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1868)

Colorado Rick 09-19-2008 10:59 AM

Ok Pros...

Anyone know the difference between 1/4 # and 1# bow string material?

I mean besides the obvious...

ACPOSSETIM 09-19-2008 06:40 PM

diameter maybe? what brand are you dealing with?

Colorado Rick 09-19-2008 07:48 PM

Thanks Tim! I knew I could count on you!

I am looking into making my own. I watched the guy that made my last ones and I think I can do it.

I am going to get a spool or two via an internet shop I found, but I can't find anything to explain the differences in 1/4# and 1#.

I'm making the jig as I can, and I am going to make a few practice runs with a little 18 pound bow first. It says the Dacron material is for all bows, but that's about all I can find.

Arrowmike 09-20-2008 12:05 PM

It refers to the amount of string on the spool. 1/4 is a 1/4lbs spool and 1 is a 1lbs spool. It has nothing to do with the physical part of the string just how much you are buying. Itís like getting lunch meat at the deli, you buy it by the pound. Hope this helps. If you are buying string I would look at BCY 452+. That's all I use on my stuff, and all i use on other people too. It has very low to no creep if you prestrech it. It's very stable. it seems like there is a big intrest in 8125 again to gain speed. The down side to it is it will strech for a while. I also have good luck with 3D end servings nice small dia, which works well on cams with tight string groves. Center servings I like any of the BCY #62 servings.

Monie 09-20-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrowmike (Post 22805)
It refers to the amount of string on the spool. 1/4 is a 1/4lbs spool and 1 is a 1lbs spool. It has nothing to do with the physical part of the string just how much you are buying. Itís like getting lunch meat at the deli, you buy it by the pound. Hope this helps. If you are buying string I would look at BCY 452+. That's all I use on my stuff, and all i use on other people too. It has very low to no creep if you prestrech it. It's very stable. it seems like there is a big intrest in 8125 again to gain speed. The down side to it is it will strech for a while. I also have good luck with 3D end servings nice small dia, which works well on cams with tight string groves. Center servings I like any of the BCY #62 servings.

Good info. Thanks, Mike!

ACPOSSETIM 09-20-2008 08:25 PM

Mike, that's what I was thinking too, but he asked besides the obvious so I thought he might already know that and not knowing exactly what he was dealing with that was my simple guess. BCY makes good stuff, I personally like Brownells but I don't really have much experience with the BCY for comparison.

Colorado Rick 09-22-2008 10:51 AM

Yeah... I literally had no idea, but I thought that might be it. Lord knows I'm not afraid to ask the stupid question. :D

I need to find a cheap wench (.... I know.... how else am I gonna say it???) and a scale that will register 400 lbs. (again... refer to the previous parenthetical statement). I found a really good deal on jig, but of course funds are low... (I am perpetually cursed by right church, wrong pew) so I think I can make one. I found a chart that details the number of strands needed for any given draw weight...

I just didn't understand the 1/4# thing. I have a spool of Bohning serving thread I'm pretty happy with along with the bobbin. Just need a set of decent string splitters.

I like the numbers on that BCY. That was my primary target, but I looked at the Brownells too. Thanks guys!

ACPOSSETIM 09-22-2008 05:34 PM

Rick are you wanting to build a string stretcher? Is that what the wench (actually winch, but I won't hold you to it:D) is for? I actually have built several of them, let me know and I can steer you in the right direction.

T

Arrowmike 09-24-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Rick (Post 22915)
Yeah... I literally had no idea, but I thought that might be it. Lord knows I'm not afraid to ask the stupid question. :D

I need to find a cheap wench (.... I know.... how else am I gonna say it???) and a scale that will register 400 lbs. (again... refer to the previous parenthetical statement). I found a really good deal on jig, but of course funds are low... (I am perpetually cursed by right church, wrong pew) so I think I can make one. I found a chart that details the number of strands needed for any given draw weight...

I just didn't understand the 1/4# thing. I have a spool of Bohning serving thread I'm pretty happy with along with the bobbin. Just need a set of decent string splitters.

I like the numbers on that BCY. That was my primary target, but I looked at the Brownells too. Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM (Post 22966)
Rick are you wanting to build a string stretcher? Is that what the wench (actually winch, but I won't hold you to it:D) is for? I actually have built several of them, let me know and I can steer you in the right direction.

T

Rick, If you are trying to stretch out a string all you need is a small piece of angle iron, eye bolt, a few nuts and washers and a die spring. If you want I could take pictures of the one I just built last week. PM me if you want.