Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The ACM Hang Out (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bow drawlengths (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1759)

Va Hunter 09-02-2008 03:45 PM

Bow drawlengths

Gotta question on drawlengths...

Just about every bow I look at has 28-30 inch draw lengths. Even the ones in all the magazines I get. Lord help ya if you even think about a lefty bow!

Anyhoo, are these the only drawlengths these bows come in? I know I'm not the only person out here with short arms! Do ya have to buy the bow, send it back to the factory and have them make it the right length? Can ya buy replace the cams?

A guy at one of our local shops handed me a childs bow the other nite and said "This should fit ya!'' I got kind hot, pretty quick, which ain't me. He just pushed the right button at the wrong time. I clamped my mouth shut and left before something got said that would get me banned.

On my Reflex you can change the lenghts by removing a screw and twisting this little cam thingy. I have to say my bow's not exactly high end and at sometime I'm gonna wanna upgrade, but the higher end bows don't have this setup..thus the original question.

Thanks

TxStarr 09-03-2008 08:38 AM

Look at Parker bows. And I know Hoyt (Avenger, Kobalt, Trykon, UltraeLite) has come out with bows that have a draw length of less than 25".

I ended up going with a Parker Buckshot to get the draw length that I needed (23" with a string loop). It is a great bow! Faster than I thought it was going to be, very accurate (when I am on my game!), and quiet. Plus I get to shoot baby arrows!!

Monie 09-03-2008 09:04 AM

Yep, Those Buck Shots are fast! Even at 38 lbs they zip!! I'm impressed with them. Those baby arrows are a lot cheaper huh? lol :D

TxStarr 09-03-2008 09:32 AM

Unfortunately the baby arrows are the same price as regular arrows—they just cut a LOT more off of them!!! BUT, hubby can't use the baby arrows so I don't start to leave out on a hunt and have to search through his quiver and bow case for my arrows!!! And they are cute with my pink broad heads!!!!

Va Hunter 09-03-2008 10:28 AM

With the exception of the pink broadheads, I'm in the same boat where my younguns concerned. He's shooting 28 or 29 inch arrows compared to my 25.5" ones. Cool thing is his arrows shoot surprisingly well from my bow.

TxStarr 09-03-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Va Hunter (Post 21424)
With the exception of the pink broadheads, I'm in the same boat where my younguns concerned. He's shooting 28 or 29 inch arrows compared to my 25.5" ones. Cool thing is his arrows shoot surprisingly well from my bow.

Um, well, my little baby arrows are 23". Yep. 23. Midgets compared to the guys I shoot with!

Colorado Rick 09-03-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Va Hunter (Post 21424)

Hmmmm... Robert... I've got a few for you to look at. This is close to the bow I shoot.

#1 is a Diamond Liberty.
Spec:
Axle-To-Axle - 33 1/16"
IBO Speed - 305-313 fps
Brace Height - 7 5/8
Kinetic Energy - 76.16
Draw Length - 25-30
Draw Weights - 50, 60, 70
Adjustable Let-Off - 65-80%

#2 is a Diamond Rock
Spec:
Axle-To-Axle - 31 9/16
IBO Speed - 310-318 fps
Brace Height - 7"
Kinetic Energy - 78.61
Draw Length - 25-30
Draw Weights - 60, 70
Adjustable Let-Off - 65-80%

These are retailing between $400 and $600 depending on where you look. I see left hand bows, but thus far I only see the 26" draw lengths on righties.

Now... at risk of alienating you... I am going to suggest the Parker Buckshot and the Diamond Edge.

They do not sport the speed these two do, and they max out at 50 lbs, but I will say this for Edge and the Parker bow my son shoots: They get the job done with seemingly little power.

Cheri shoots the Edge and it really is an AWESOME bow. She'll never shoot another bow, so she says.
Spec:
Axle-To-Axle - 32 3/8
IBO Speed - 298 fps at 28"
Brace Height - 6 3/4
Kinetic Energy - 49.31
Draw Length - 18-28
Draw Weights - 29, 40, 50
Let-Off - 75%

I've seen it in action and it was something coupled with the Easton Axis arrows and those Eastman First Cuts... man. THWAK!! at 40 yards this looses a bit, but that's to be expected. We still saw great deep penetration with this combination.

Cale's bow is close to the Buckshot, but not quite the same. It's the Side kick. Based on his bow performance and shooting it a few times myself, I am impressed with it. His bow also was the only one to drop a hog out there in Texas, so I know it would do the job on a deer.

I also found this one, but I know very little about Martin Bows. Kevin (Great White Hunter) just sold one for his Diamond Black Ice that he loved.

It's a Martin Sabre. It's 25" to 30" and I only see righties, but I imagine that if you contacted Martin they would be able to help you out some.

That's all I got.

manyfaces1 09-03-2008 02:23 PM

i am shooting a mathews se and i have a 25 inch draw length and it is set at 52lbs. but it shots great even at 48lbs i just like the extra speed and arrow flight at longer distances. i got mine at lubbock indoor archery in lubbock texas. the guy there is great and he is also a bronze medalist so he knows his stuff great guy to work with i have known him for over 22 yrs and he can talk to you on the phone and get ya what ya want.
good luck-n-huntin 08
manyfaces1

Va Hunter 09-04-2008 08:23 AM

Rick,

I'm not offended by your help. Matter of fact...THANKS!

The young, uh, mmm, smarta$$ at the bow shop evidently didn't want to fool around with someone asking questions.

I've looked at the Parkers while out to our Sportsmans Warehouse. Not a bad little bow. The youngun across the street from me got one of the Edges for Christmas this year. Unfortunately it's a righty. Nice bow though. He's like a freakin RobinHood or something!

Thanks again

Monie 09-04-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxStarr (Post 21414)
Unfortunately the baby arrows are the same price as regular arrows—they just cut a LOT more off of them!!! BUT, hubby can't use the baby arrows so I don't start to leave out on a hunt and have to search through his quiver and bow case for my arrows!!! And they are cute with my pink broad heads!!!!

WOW! What baby arrows are you buying?? :eek: