Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   MM - Moose Mania (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   first time going moose hunting (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1700)

northern_archer 08-24-2008 09:33 AM

first time going moose hunting

i would like to thank vicky and ralph for putting the drive in me to go moose hunting this year. i don't care if i get one i'm learning as i go so any help will be useful. when is the best time to start calling moose seen how i'm going to be hunting sept 22 to 27 with my bow. I would like to know when the rut is roughly. By the way moose mania 1 rocks can't wait for number 2 to come out.

timba 08-24-2008 10:54 AM

Ya that moose mania kind off has me wanting to go after moose too.But this year I want to try and get a elk first.I have a couple moose hanging around my house I'm hoping to get a draw for maybe next year.

timba

Liege 02-24-2009 10:41 AM

Hunt success?

Hey, there, Northern Archer; How did you make out on your moose hunt? The bulls should have been responding to calling right at the timeframe that you mentioned.

Gord

Liege 03-06-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timba (Post 20682)
Ya that moose mania kind off has me wanting to go after moose too.But this year I want to try and get a elk first.I have a couple moose hanging around my house I'm hoping to get a draw for maybe next year.

timba

Hey, bud: Are you drawing for cows or bulls? You should be able to get a cow tag about every 2 - 3 years. Bull tags only come around every 6 - 7 years, though. You are drawing just south of Chauvin, right?

Gord

timba 03-07-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liege (Post 30302)
Hey, bud: Are you drawing for cows or bulls? You should be able to get a cow tag about every 2 - 3 years. Bull tags only come around every 6 - 7 years, though. You are drawing just south of Chauvin, right?

Gord

I would like a bull draw but probably draw for cow to fill the freezer.This will be my first year so I don't expect to get drawn but a buddy wants to goto the yukon this fall and I really want to go.

Ya I'm 10 miles south of chauvin,there are about 4 moose running around here.

sheldon

Liege 03-07-2009 09:29 PM

Hey, Bud: You better check on the Yukon thing. I was on a site that said that all non-residents need to use an outfitter, but I would check it out so that you know for sure. It shouldn't be too long to draw a cow tag if you just want to fill the freezer. If you want to hunt bulls, I know a zone where you can draw a bull tag every second year, and the hunting is pretty good. If you can call, you should do alright. I went out to Neil's the other night, and I was shooting my new Rezen - very smooth!! I made some slight changes in my equipment, but the bow is shooting like a dream. A few more nights, and I'll have her dialed in.

Gord

timba 03-08-2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liege (Post 30330)
Hey, Bud: You better check on the Yukon thing. I was on a site that said that all non-residents need to use an outfitter, but I would check it out so that you know for sure. It shouldn't be too long to draw a cow tag if you just want to fill the freezer. If you want to hunt bulls, I know a zone where you can draw a bull tag every second year, and the hunting is pretty good. If you can call, you should do alright. I went out to Neil's the other night, and I was shooting my new Rezen - very smooth!! I made some slight changes in my equipment, but the bow is shooting like a dream. A few more nights, and I'll have her dialed in.

Gord

I better check the yukon hunting guide again,I hate to get up there and not be able to hunt.The moose zone your talking about is around here?

I coming up to shoot for sure thursday,I have to get my truck fixed at noris ford that day.Who makes Rezen?

Liege 03-08-2009 08:46 PM

The Rezen is a Matthews bow. I like them - good warranty (never had any problems), quiet, accurate, fast. I'm going to have another look at the Yukon Guide as well. Come on up Thursday for sure, bud. We'll shoot the breeze and punch some paper.

Gord

Liege 03-09-2009 12:37 AM

I checked the Yukon Hunting Reg's and you can hunt there if you are hosted by a Yukon resident, who must obtain a Special Guiding Permit. As long as you have that covered, you're good to go!! The zone that I am referring to here in Ab is up north of Athabasca. It's not hard to get to, but you will need a quad or Argo to get to the best moose hunting. I know it really well, and getting a bull in a week shouldn't be real hard, if you can call. Talk to me on Thursday.

Gord

timba 03-11-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liege (Post 30359)
I checked the Yukon Hunting Reg's and you can hunt there if you are hosted by a Yukon resident, who must obtain a Special Guiding Permit. As long as you have that covered, you're good to go!! The zone that I am referring to here in Ab is up north of Athabasca. It's not hard to get to, but you will need a quad or Argo to get to the best moose hunting. I know it really well, and getting a bull in a week shouldn't be real hard, if you can call. Talk to me on Thursday.

Gord

I'll have to ask the guy that was planning the trip,about the hunt then.Talk to you thursday.

sheldon