Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (
-   The Choice (
-   -   Think About This? (

bowing4bulls 08-20-2008 01:56 PM

Think About This?
Ok if you have seen my post with the trail cam elk pic's, then you will know what two bulls I am talking about, if you have not seen it then click below. lbumId=1uXYxRKKm4RB6aoTn6oihKhROQhtmrcOEojnrjiQoV2 JJdNX5w59hg%3D%3D&backgroundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpictu hoo%2F%2Fbackgrounds%2Ftiles%2Fbg05.jpg&noLogo=tru e

BULL A: The big bull 6x7
BULL B: The smaller bull 5x6

Here is the deal, you are in Northwest NM, it early-Sept. you have an archery elk tag, and from scouting you know that both bulls are in the near area.
It's the 3rd day of the hunt and you have 3 days left. You have been hunting hard, but the bulls are just not into the rut yet and things have been real quite, so this evening you set up over what looks like a well used elk trail. About 40 minutes before dark you finally see your first sign of elk, the 5x6 is coming down the trail, and in about half a minute until he will pass right by you at about 34yards!! Now you have to decide if you are going to try to stop this bull for a shot! or wait and hope for the big bull:confused:
So what would you do???

Now Remember This Question is, What Would YOU Do?

YorkArcher 08-20-2008 02:06 PM

That big bull is a MONSTER!!!

If you know hes in the area wait it out!!!!!

InDaWoods 08-20-2008 02:47 PM

Headed to Colorado on the 28th for a DIY elk hunt. It's my first time headed out there, and if I get lucky enough to see anything close to this, I'd not hesitate on either bull. Both trophies in my book!!!

Va Hunter 08-20-2008 02:49 PM

Dang! What a choice! I'd be hard pressed not to stick the smaller of the 2, but at the same time the other may be coming up the same trail, just out of sight....?

Okay...If I'd traveled to hunt elk, from out of state, I'd shoot the smaller one. If I would have other chances to get back out there, because I lived in the area, I'd wait for the larger one.

WHEW! I ain't good at these kinds of decisions....

MJewell 08-20-2008 07:13 PM

If I lived in the area and knew that I was goin gto be able to hunt the bigger bull again afew times I think that I would wait.

However if this was to be the very first Elk that you ever harvested or if you were travelling some distance to hunt an wasn't quite sure when you would get back to try again I think I'd take the shot that was presented at the time.


ladybowhntr 08-20-2008 08:02 PM

Considering I would have 3 days left, and the big bull is in the area, I'd wait. I'd continue to try to put myself in the area of the big boy.

Colorado Rick 08-20-2008 09:04 PM

Honestly... I am among the waiting crowd. Even if I didn't get a shot at the monster, just seeing them come in is incredible, and something few people ever get to experience.

If I did get a shot at the big one... well that is just the icing on the cake.

coorsdrifter 08-21-2008 08:25 PM

Since you live in the area I'd wait for the big'un.Now,I haven't ever seen a bull elk up close so,I would probably have heart attack if either of them stopped in front of me.

timba 08-22-2008 09:16 AM

I can't see the pics here at work but I still would take the smaller one,the elk aren't in rut so you would have to be very lucky to come across the big bull with out being able to call him in.


caleb 08-23-2008 02:35 PM

having never elk hunted I would kill the smaller. But to put it in local terms, the same situation with two whitetails (one small one huge on the property) I would wait it out for the larger.
my .02

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2014 Archers Choice Media, Inc.