Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hog'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Broadheads For Hogs (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

hank whitt 08-06-2008 10:41 PM

Broadheads For Hogs

:eek:KINDA NEW TO THE HOG HUNTING. WHAT TYPE OF BROADHEAD WOULD BE GOOD FOR GETTING THROUGH THE HOGS PROTECTIVE SHIELDS.

Great White Hunter 08-06-2008 11:42 PM

My favorites... 100gr Slick Trick Magnums. They are the sharpest and most accurate of all that I've tried. The kill hogs dead quick! Slick Tricks all the way (and they don't even pay me for advertising!) You can find them anywhere from 25-30 bucks for a 3 pack and the blades are both sharpenable and replaceable.

Colorado Rick 08-07-2008 10:52 AM

Depending on your KE, we found that the beloved slick-tricks were not as effective when released from a less powerful bow. Tricks are without a doubt an awesome broadhead, don't get me wrong. I've heard stories of them being shot into a gun safe wall. (No... it wasn't me)

What we learned when we went to Texas to hunt hogs, was that a good, cut-on-contact head will do the trick no matter what. My son shot a raccoon with a Slick Trick, but dropped his hog with a HellRazor. Both were clean kills with a 38 lbs bow.

My wife shot a few hogs while we were down there, but the best results we saw came when she shot the cut-on-contact Eastman Gametracker broadhead. She had the wrong shafts in the first place, and that was my fault, but the heads were all wrong for her set up too.

I would say that if you have a bow that shoots fast and you are getting good KE from the arrows and the bow, well then use either. I am sticking with a cut-on-contact broadhead from here on out though.

Feral Hogs, unlike deer, are CONSTANTLY on the move. Kevin will agree with me here: It's not unusal to draw a few times, then come back down. They don't stop out of curiousity when you grunt at them to see what that was. Generally, they will bolt. They may present a good shot opportunity for half a second and then take it away just as quickly. When you shoot, you want to make sure your hit is as solid as you can make it.

Bow Drawn 08-07-2008 01:53 PM

Any good cut on contact head will do it if you hit the hog in the vitals. Some recommend the quartering away shot is the best shot and I have taken the broadside shot and dropped them. Hogs vitals are more down and forward than on a deer. The upper half is spine and muscle. The lower front part right behind the front leg is the best shot and it's covered up by thick skin that you can shoot threw. Just use a sharp broadhead.

Great White Hunter 08-07-2008 08:14 PM

Hank,

Not to hijack the post but I have family in Horseshoe, NC.

You got to know where that is!:D In fact you probably know some of my kin there. They are the Reese's. The Govt. took some of my family land for that Blue Ridge Trail. My great, great, great grandma's log cabin is in ruins on the trail there. Not a ton of people for Hendersonville.:D Even less from Horseshoe.:cool:

outdoorsuccess 08-26-2008 10:37 PM

There is no comparison the cut on contact such as any of the Magnus heads work great on hogs!! I go one step further and say a two blade will give the best performance if the shield is struck. My oldest son drawing just over 40# and shooting a 175 grain Magnus 1 (1.5 inch 2 blade) shot completly threw 3 hogs last year with the last dressing 200# this also with a 25" draw. I have taken 18 hogs with archery and guilded for many MANY more and found the cut on contact 2 blade hands down the best penitrating head.

doegirl 09-02-2008 05:07 AM

I went on my first hog hunt in July. My hog went down with 100grain Silver Flames. The shot was a passthru with the head buried in the mud. I shoot 52lbs, 26" draw. The guys in my hunting party were using Spitfires and the bloodtrails were ridiculous. There was very little blood on the ground from my COC heads, but the boar died in sight, so the trailing was easy.:rolleyes:

Great White Hunter 09-02-2008 08:51 AM

Hey doegirl!

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you here!

doegirl 09-02-2008 03:12 PM

Thanks, Great White Hunter :). Glad I found the site.

Greywolf 09-02-2008 11:29 PM

I've killed couple of hogs in my hunting adventures. Snuffers leave a huge hole and a unbelievable blood trail. Easy to sharpen, Did I mention the leave a huge hole? and lots and lots of blood on the ground?