Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Behind the Lens (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Deadliest Catch (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1511)

ACPOSSETIM 07-22-2008 10:45 PM

Deadliest Catch

Just watched the behind the scenes episode of deadliest catch.....it was awesome! I think they said they use upwards of $500,000 in production equipment:eek: Saw some cool ideas.....but I think you'd need their budget to pull some of it off. They showed how they get the footage off the boats, I'd be scared to try it! They took all the tapes they had and put them in a couple pelican cases...tied them to some buoys and threw them over board for another boat to pick up! Man, wouldn't that suck if the cases leaked!

Monie 07-23-2008 06:42 AM

You forgot to mention that once the production is over the cameras are trashed!! :eek: $500,000 down the tubes!
Apparently, the salt and harsh weather turn them into junk by the time they're done filming. What a bummer.

It's one of my fav shows. Poor Capt. Phil. I hope he's doing ok. That would so suck, thinking today might be the day that you die. :(

YorkArcher 07-23-2008 06:44 AM

This is one of the best shows on Television!!!!!

I'm so sick of TV these days I only change it from OLN for a few shows.

MJewell 07-23-2008 07:28 AM

I've watched it afew times but always seem to have something else going on when it is on.

Like watching it when I can catch it as I'm an Aquaculture Technican (Fish Farmer) here in Ontario.

Lots of thing to go wrong if one gets to comfortable within their job. Nearly have seen the light afew times (lightning, electrical and water, ice and water)

Matt

Colorado Rick 07-23-2008 09:15 AM

When it started, like Ice Road Truckers, I thought, "Why in the world would they put this on? Ok it's dangerous to be at sea. I get it. (Click) Oooo UFC Fight Night!"

Then, like York, I found TV one night to be boring and pedantic, so I hit Discovery and watch Deadliest. HOOKED!

I sincerely hope that the Pot-Head-green-horn Lynn has a mishap with one of the Pots and get's an upclose and personal idea of what it's like to be an icecube.

Not sure why, but I find myself rooting for the Time Bandit crew all the time. Except for that snotty punk Scotty. Captains son, nephew, whatever... he'd have a one-on-one with the bait grinder the minute no one was looking.

nhbowhunter21 07-23-2008 09:20 AM

I just can't get over how many hours straight that these folks work. That is some kind of work ethic. Just as I'm about to leave the office all ragged after putting in a rough 10 hours I think that these guys are only through a third of their day. Then they get 2-3 hours of rest and then it is back to the railing.

Colorado Rick 07-23-2008 09:33 AM

True. Very true. And not to take away anything from what you said NH, but whereas you do that 5 days a week (?) 50 weeks a year, The Crab Seasons are what... 6 to 8 weeks long maybe more? They potentially pull in $100K over 16 weeks of intense labor.

ACPOSSETIM 07-23-2008 12:37 PM

The most I've ever worked was 54.5 straight, 4 hrs sleep then another 24. We got hit with a huge snowstorm and I was snowplowing for a big company that had lots of contracts. I started in my truck, then a dump truck, then finally a payloader.....should've stayed in my truck, I would've made a lot more money!! Still did pretty well as it was, but man I was a zombie by the end of it!!!

Va Hunter 07-23-2008 03:02 PM

Sixteen weeks of work? HMMMM? Leaves quite a lot of time to chase other interests, huh? I wonder if they're out there during hunting season?

Monie 07-23-2008 03:26 PM

Scotty's the captain's son. Must be nice to take a break when you feel like it while the others are on deck, hauling butt, earning part of your pay for you. :rolleyes:

I root for all of them, so to speak. :) The Norwegians (North Western) totally crack me up! Now if they were as smart as Swedes, I bet they'd make double their money. :D

Capt. Phil (Cornillia Marie)is pretty cool...hope he'll make it many more years.

I wish that one couple hadn't turned over the keys to that one kid. I liked watching them. Dang....can't remember their names.