Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Birds, Bunnies & Bushy Tails (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Squirrel hunting (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470)

1Ranger49 07-14-2008 06:10 PM

Squirrel hunting

Does anyone here enjoy spending time in the woods picking off a few of those tree rats? Our season starts here in Indiana August 15th. I enjoy getting out a few times to hunt them and while I'm in the woods I do a little scouting for the coming deer season.

Just curious if anyone else enjoys hunting them.

Monie 07-14-2008 09:12 PM

You betcha!!! Nothing better than a little limb rat stew! :)

YorkArcher 07-15-2008 07:08 AM

I've always enjoyed squirrel hunting!!!

Problem is I don't like eating them much...

With no one to eat them, it don't feel right shooting them...

I will probably take my boy out squirrel hunting this year at least once..

Great way to get kids interested in hunting!!!!

OhioCooner 07-15-2008 07:52 AM

Never went Squirrel hunting before, tons around though.

bullmoose38 07-15-2008 08:49 AM

My best memories of hunting came from squirrel hunting with my dad. We used to go between Christmas and New Years when i was off from school. Man I still wish he would hunt!:(

Va Hunter 07-15-2008 10:19 AM

I,ve been hunting them things since I was 10 yr old. Foxies or grays, it don't makes no difference. Hunting these sharp eyed little beggars, will definitely help on still hunting skills.

Monie 07-15-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkArcher (Post 17516)
I've always enjoyed squirrel hunting!!!

Problem is I don't like eating them much...

With no one to eat them, it don't feel right shooting them...

I will probably take my boy out squirrel hunting this year at least once..

Great way to get kids interested in hunting!!!!

I totally understand. I cannot stomach them as is. That's why I only use them in a stew...slow cooker is best. It gets rid of the gamey taste. It actually comes out tasting like dark chicken meat. I know I know...everything tastes like chicken.

Va Hunter 07-15-2008 03:40 PM

I know a guy who used to get extremely P***ED at us boys for head shooting them. He wanted the heads to add in with his Dumplings.

bullmoose38 07-15-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Va Hunter (Post 17581)
I know a guy who used to get extremely P***ED at us boys for head shooting them. He wanted the heads to add in with his Dumplings.

Thats just wrong! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Redeye 07-15-2008 05:10 PM

Tree rats are tons of fun. I used to have to walk on the other side of the tree from my dad (God bless his soul) which pushed the squirrel to his side where, ka-blam! I'd save the tails. Squirrels are where I was first indoctrinated into field dressing game.

I took my kids out last year. Funny thing! My 5-year old son saw no squirrels but lots of moose, tigers, and leopards. Keep in mind we live in southern WI. Good memories.:)