Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Boot question? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402)

coorsdrifter 07-06-2008 07:33 AM

Boot question?

I've got a quick question for those that hunt out west a lot,or know something about hunting boots.I'm needing a new pair insulated boots,which would be better for an elk hunt in the middle of Oct in Idaho,a boot with 400grams of Thinsulate or the 600gram version.Being a 1st time elk hunt I was uncertain if the 600gr would be to much and cause sweating with all the hiking.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jersey jeff 07-06-2008 08:21 AM

Danners. The make an excellent boot. They will have one that will fit your needs. I bought my last pair 6 years ago and they are still going strong.

ACPOSSETIM 07-06-2008 09:06 AM

I love my lacrosse boots, I also have a set of danners they are actually sister companies. The danners are very comfortable and well built but my complaints are that the hooks on the upper part of the boot are not big enough, the laces slip off of them real easily. The only way to keep them from coming off is to lace them so tight that my feet get numb! The other complaint is that they do not have a loop on the upper back part of the boot to make pulling them on easier. I have big feet and that helps a bunch when putting them on and I notice it when it's not there. I know these are pretty trivial but on a boot that you are going to use a lot, it makes a difference. I wore them on 1 moose hunt and now they stay in the closet. I've had several pairs of Lacrosse and absolutely love them, I've got hikers, rubbers, and pacs. I would try both companies and see which you like best!....good luck!

oakcreek 07-06-2008 09:39 AM

I would give the thumbs up to danners also. Mine have the pull up strap that tim was mentioning.From the moment i put them on there was never a issue with sore spots. I wear them all spring bear season in some pretty wet nasty stuff. My only regret is that i didn't buy a pair 15 years ago. I have a pair of lacross also which are back at the shop for warranty issues the toes cracked open it's being a year since i dropped them off.

Danner canadian 600 gram

Monie 07-06-2008 09:50 AM

Coors, I guess it depends on how much walking you'll be doing. The 600 will make your feet sweat more if you're walking all day. I would suggest getting the 400's and take several pairs of extra socks. Keep an extra pair or two in your day pack. When your feet feel especially hot and sweaty, cop a squat, take your boots off and air your tootsies for a minute. Take a couple of baby wipes and wipe your feet down. Then, after your feet have dried, put on a fresh pair of socks. Put your sweaty pair in a baggy to cut down on your scent. A fresh pair of socks will make your feet feel practically brand new after a day of walking all over the mountain.

Make sure you take some wool socks (and extras), just in case you run into snow.

bullmoose38 07-06-2008 10:03 AM

I would go with the 400's.

coorsdrifter 07-06-2008 05:55 PM

thanx for all the info.

YorkArcher 07-07-2008 06:47 AM

I bought Cabela's Pinnacle Zipper boots a couple years ago for the added ankle support.

I LOVE THESE BOOTS!!!!!

Warm, Waterproof, Scentlock.....

I get dressed right before I walk into the woods to control scent. These boots provide the support of lace up boots with the ease of slip on rubber boots.

Bow Drawn 07-07-2008 02:33 PM

Danner makes several great boots. They last a long time too so you get your money's worth.

SunRiverMan 07-08-2008 11:09 PM

Another vote for Danner. Get them 1/2 size bigger so your toes will feel better on uneven terrain and use those smart wool socks. Moreno? It took me years and extra money to learn this so take it for what it is worth. SRM out!