Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tips and Tricks (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337)

YorkArcher 06-25-2008 10:50 AM

Tips and Tricks

Saw this on another site and thought it was a good idea. Maybe even to make it a "sticky" thread.

Any little Tips or Tricks you have picked up along the way that you don't share with many people?

All I use anymore are single pin sights. I sight it in out to 60 yards. When I'm in a tree stand I range the furthest I can take a shot and where I figure they will be. I then set my site somewhere in between. I won't move the site again. Most modern bows will only be high or low a couple inches out to 30 yards. So teach yourself to aim for the lungs (center mass) and you will be good. I always use a range finder and range a few trees and rocks so I have a good idea of how far my shots are. Really long shots require more care, but out to 25 you will be good.

No more "I used the wrong pin" excuses!

Better site window!

This is just the way I do it. Hope it helps someone!

Monie 06-25-2008 10:56 AM

Here's a tip!

When gluing in a H.I.T. insert, use the tool provided. :D

YorkArcher 06-25-2008 11:15 AM

I just started making my own arrows so I know I will appreciate any and all advice on that subject!!!

Monie 06-25-2008 12:57 PM

Don't use crooked sticks!

OK, seriously, one tool that is fantastic is the G5 ASD (arrow squaring device) I know I've posted about it before, but it really is great. Use it to square your shafts and inserts. It will improve your arrow flight.

bullmoose38 06-28-2008 04:11 AM

When waxing your bowstring use a piece of leather to work the wax into the strings fibers. Works great and adds life to your string.

bullmoose38 06-28-2008 04:15 AM

For those of you that use decoys here is an idea. I have been doing it for years and it works well. I save some deer tails and tan them. I replace the hard plastic tail with one of them. I have a few with different lures on them. All you need to do when your done hunting is slip them in a ziploc bag. This allows you to save your scent. It also allows you to switch out other tails with different scents on them.

Monie 06-28-2008 08:15 AM

That's a fantastic idea!

Monie 06-28-2008 08:19 AM

Here's one for our friends who are new to archery:

Don't forget to wax your string and cables. You don't want them to become brittle and break when you're trying to shoot that monster you've been after all season!

Ok, it does take a while for the string to really wear, but when it does, you'll be out 70 bucks, because you'll have to replace it.

TLC 06-28-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

I save some deer tails and tan them. I replace the hard plastic tail with one of them.
make sure this is legal where you hunt. in illinois, you can not use live animals, or parts of them, for huntintg. yep, checked on this. so what you can do to give the decoy life is duct tape, love that stuff, plastic strips cut from garbage bags to the ears and tail area. if you want to add scent, then use a clothes pin with a cotton ball, or tampon, to the plastic.

yep, seems that using tampons for scent dispensing is picking up speed around here. they say there is nothing more absorbant. will take their word for it.

bullmoose38 06-28-2008 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=TLC;16028]make sure this is legal where you hunt. in illinois, you can not use live animals, or parts of them, for huntintg. QUOTE]

Can you use real rattling antlers for rattling?:confused: Just curious...