Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Breaking in My New Whisper Creek Stealth LX Bow (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1242)

Owaatta' 06-12-2008 09:43 PM

Breaking in My New Whisper Creek Stealth LX Bow

Got my new Whisper Creek Stealth LX rig in the post (from Hunter's Friend in KY, super outfit. I like to buy local but the local pro shop has limited selection and pretty spendy). Observations:

1. The bow is teeny-tiny. Looks like a youth bow. Does not shoot like a youth bow. Pretty speedy, just under 300 fps with my current arrow weight, bow at 65# at 29.5". Great fit and finish. Whisper Creek is an American company but manufactures in China. Not wild about the Chinese manufacture but you'd never know it by shooting the thing.

2. I can see the pins better on the Razor sight with the light on, but if I'm honest with myself it's still a bit of a challenge. Thinking about swapping out for TruGlo's single pin sight.

3. I am a terrible, terrible shot. Couldn't connect from 20 yards. Shot a one inch group from 10 yards, last flyer spread it to 2". (Shooting the Rinhart 18-1 target). The bow tech at Hunters Friend shot some killer groups. This bow can do it alright, this is user error. I need a lot of practice, especially given that I am right handed but left-eye dominant. No open-eyes shooting for me.

4. I need to brush hog, bad. Lost an arrow in the thick stuff. Glad I bought an even dozen. Maybe I'll find it tomorrow. Black shaft, black and purple fletching, not real eye-catching. I should have bought some Zebra arrows from the Nuge. :D

5. I will not get discouraged (though I'm feeling a bit of the sort). I expected better shooting on my first go round. I am a dang good rifle and pistol shot, but this is a whole new world.

Monie 06-12-2008 10:34 PM

Congrats on the new bow!!!

At this point, don't worry about being a terrible shot. Work on your form, first and foremost. Hit the same anchor point(s) EVERY time.The more you have, the better off you'll be! I put the knuckle of my index finger right behind my ear (1st anchor point). Then, I make sure my nose is on the string (2nd anchor point). I also like to feel the serving at the corner of my mouth (3rd anchor point). Finally, I tuck the fletch in the crease that's between my chin and bottom lip (4th anchor point).

You will continue to build muscle memory every time you shoot. Hitting your anchor points and good muscle memory are vital to shooting consistantly. I'm sure you're aware by now that you use different muscles to shoot. :D If I shoot a lot, I really feel it in my back and my ribs!

The next thing to work on is following through. Just like throwing a ball, you have to follow through when you shoot. Once you release your arrow, don't move until you see the arrow hit. If you drop your bow arm before you arrow hits, chances are that you'll throw off the flight of that arrow.

I have no doubt that you're a strong guy, but you should consider dropping your draw weight to 60 or even 55. Starting out, you want to work on your form and that's hard to do if you're worn out after 20 shots. Remember, a 35 pound bow will drop a deer in it's tracks!

I'm wondering how tall you are. Your draw seems long. Although, there is a guy, tall as the day is long, that goes to the same shop I go to and he uses 32 inches!! :eek: You want to shoot your bow kind of like you shoot a gun; with a slightly bent elbow. It offers more support, you get more consistant groups and most importantly, you don't smack your arm!

On your eye dominance, you can get an eye patch. It'll take a few weeks, but you can train your right eye to become dominant. I know of several people who shoot with an eye patch. They say it's easier than trying to close one eye. lol

Ok, I'm done rambling...for now. :D

OhioCooner 06-13-2008 07:17 AM

Congrads on getting a New Bow!!
I'm not sure if brush hogging will help you find your arrow. I've lost some in an open field and couldn't find it!

Owaatta' 06-13-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monie (Post 14692)
Congrats on the new bow!!!

At this point, don't worry about being a terrible shot. Work on your form, first and foremost. Hit the same anchor point(s) EVERY time.The more you have, the better off you'll be! I put the knuckle of my index finger right behind my ear (1st anchor point). Then, I make sure my nose in on the string (2nd anchor point). I also like to feel the serving at the corner of my mouth (3rd anchor point). Finally, I tuck the fletch in the crease that's between my chin and bottom lip (4th anchor point).

You will continue to build muscle memory every time you shoot. Hitting your anchor points and good muscle memory are vital to shooting consistantly. I'm sure you're aware by now that you use different muscles to shoot. :D If I shoot a lot, I really feel it in my back and my ribs!

The next thing to work on is following through. Just like throwing a ball, you have to follow through when you shoot. Once you release your arrow, don't move until you see the arrow hit. If you drop your bow arm before you arrow hits, chances are that you'll throw off the flight of that arrow.

I have no doubt that you're a strong guy, but you should consider dropping your draw weight to 60 or even 55. Starting out, you want to work on your form and that's hard to do if you're worn out after 20 shots. Remember, a 35 pound bow will drop a deer in it's tracks!

I'm wondering how tall you are. Your draw seems long. Although, there is a guy, tall as the day is long, that goes to the same shop I go to and he uses 32 inches!! :eek: You want to shoot your bow kind of like you shoot a gun; with a slightly bent elbow. It offers more support, you get more consistant groups and most importantly, you don't smack your arm!

On your eye dominance, you can get an eye patch. It'll take a few weeks, but you can train your right eye to become dominant. I know of several people who shoot with an eye patch. They say it's easier than trying to close one eye. lol

Ok, I'm done rambling...for now. :D

I'm working on identifying anchor points that work for me. I'm going to try yours out this evening.

65# is actually not that challenging to draw, and let-off is 80% on this particular bow. I'm 6'1", and arm span is around 74". What should I look for that would indicate whether my draw length is set too long?

I'll try the bent arm and eye patch. I'm also going to get with the local 3D range and have one of the employees give me some good beginner's lessons, watch my form and so forth. I'm going to get this bow thing down one way or another.

huntquest 06-13-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owaatta' (Post 14691)
Whisper Creek is an American company but manufactures in China. Not wild about the Chinese manufacture but you'd never know it by shooting the thing.

When did Whisper Creek go Chinese? I have been to their manufacturing plant in Salt Lake and seen them make bows in Utah.

Just curious??

Va Hunter 06-13-2008 12:41 PM

Monie,

If you consider all that you've just put on here rambling...I'd sure like to hear you get serious!

In the short time it took me to read these pointers, I learned what I've been doing wrong.

It'd have been great to have you around when I decided to start hunting with a bow again.

Ott, Hope I didn't just jack your post!
I didn't shoot beyond 10-15 yards until I was reasonably certain I was gonna hit the target! When I started shooting further back, I set up a couple of peices of 3/8 plywood, to stop any "fliers"(uhhh, I've had more than say...3 or 7 or so), on either side of my target. Glad they were there more than once!

Monie 06-13-2008 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Your arrow, not including your point/broadhead, should extend about an inch past you rest. As far as the bent arm goes, here's what you're looking for:

Owaatta' 06-17-2008 07:48 PM

The arrow fit seems right. I've been anchoring with my knuckle behind my ear, nose on the string, fletching touches the edge of my mouth. I'm grouping three arrows in an inch (ruined some fletching) at 10 yards. I'm working on the bent arm thing, seems more natural, or at least easier, to hold full draw with a straight arm.

Monie 06-18-2008 02:58 PM

I know what you mean about the straight arm thing feeling natural. I felt the same way, until I tried bending my arm, like my bow tech advised. I shortened my draw to where I felt the most comfortable. My groups really tightened up after that! I had to switch from a single spot target to a 5 spot target, because I kept messing up my arrows. One Robin Hood...holy cow! :eek: Two Robin Hoods...cool! :cool: Three Robin Hoods...now I'm getting mad!! :mad: I just lost 20 bucks in arrows! :mad::mad:

lol...give the bent arm a try. Have your bow tech shorten your draw an inch or so and see how that feels. Believe it or not, most people are overdrawn. When I first started I was at 29 inches!! Yikes!! I am now at 28 1/2 inches which is much better for me. I'm more stable. The half inch really made a diffeerence.

Owaatta' 06-19-2008 08:14 PM

I found another local pro shop hiding in the woods, and they have a 3D course. I'll have them check my draw length and make the change.