Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hook, Line & Sinker (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Smallmouth (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224)

Va Hunter 06-09-2008 11:09 AM

Smallmouth

Finally got down on the river last nite. Temps in the high 90s has made the water warm up quick this year. Just right for a pair of tennis shoes and shorts. I didn't have but a short while before dark and had the need to get away from the house,so I went fishing. Wasn't there but about an hour,but man it was nice. Nothing but me and the river. That gurgling of water running over rocks sure is peaceful.

I caught 3 smallies while there and missed about 6 more(some of which were probably bream). The smallies were between 10 and 14 inches. They were knocking the heck out of a 4'' greenpumpkin lizard. Maybe I'll get back down there this week sometime.

Fishing and hunting are the best kinds of therapy I know of !!

VA Hunter

indiana boy 06-13-2008 01:25 AM

Cant beat smallies. Try throwing a white Mister Twister grub with a 1/8 oz. jig head. Thats what we use here. Tears them up!!!!!!!!

Monie 06-13-2008 08:21 AM

You sure hit the nail on the head. VA!!! It sure is nice to get out and enjoy Mother Nature. :)

Sitting in the woods at first light is better than...well...better than just about anything you could think of.

Va Hunter 06-13-2008 03:55 PM

Monie,

I know what ya mean on both(?) accounts.
The place where I hunt the most, is a long valley that's headed up on the west end by mountains. The lower (East) end is wide open. Many a time, I've sat on a stand, up in the mountain, and watched the sun coming up. The sky growing light and that pinkish hew that starts to show right before ole SOL makes his peek over the edge. The way the whole valley glistens from a heavy frost. The quiet that comes with snow. Makes ya hope a deer don't come easing up over the ridge.

O' course if one does come sneeking around, I'm liable to go to busting up my tranquility, but we just have to set there and see what happens.

Va Hunter 06-13-2008 04:00 PM

Indy,

Ya'll got Hellgrammites out there? I'm going tomorrow,hopefully, and seine some out. Now! Ya talk about something a smallie can't/won't tolerate and that's IT. Float one of down thru a ripplely spot or drift it thru a deep hole and HANG ON!

A black curlytail on 1/16 oz head(or smaller) works pretty good also.

And CRAWDADS!!!!? man o' man!!!

craig 06-14-2008 11:03 AM

Sounds like you had a good outing congrats! Our season here don't start till June 21 then i'll be hitting Lake Erie for some big bronzeback's. Dropshot, swimming tubes and jigging spoon's are my choice's for smallmouth and ocassionaly stickbait's and spinnerbaits.