Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Traditional Shooters (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146)

dhertz 05-28-2008 10:58 AM

Traditional Shooters

Just wondering if anyone on here shoots recurve or longbow?

I used to bowfish all the time with a recurve. Always loved shooting one but got away from it over the years. Well I've got the bug again and have started shooting one again, hoping to get good enough to try to hunt with it a couple times this year.

Monie 05-28-2008 10:59 AM

Pffff...I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a traditional bow! It might be kinda fun to try, though. :D

bullmoose38 05-28-2008 01:39 PM

I have been playing with mine a couple of years. If I keep at it I feel pretty confident. I want to try and hunt this fall with it. But when I check my trail cams and get a pic of 150 inch I tend to get cold feet. Next turkey season I plan on using it too. I just got to get used to shooting it in a blind. They are lots of fun though.

Coodster 05-28-2008 02:54 PM

I have been shooting recurves and longbows the past 6 years, I have just got my compound in feb, the first time since I started shooting recurves.
FUN is all I can say shooting recurves n longbows, efective also, just gotta keep the shots close..
To avoid headaches get the right spine arrow. do Not go by the spine charts, more than likely you will be way over spined. depending on draw wt.

What bow are you going to shoot? pounds and draw lnth? arrows? wood, alum, carbon?

Va Hunter 05-28-2008 02:59 PM

I'd like to find one that's left-handed. I hunted with one years ago (pre compound era). It was a RH Bear recurve.

My little brother bought a Ben Pearson recently at a yard sale for less than $10. When he went to get a string for it, a bidding war broke out, right in the middle of Gander Mountain's bow shop. He finally got them all to understand it wasn't for sale, got the string and left with promises to let them know if he decides to sell it. Haha! He was so upset about the whole thing, he forgot to get arrows and drove the 60miles home before he realized it. Now he's after me to get him some and bring them up the next time I head to his house.

White Falcon 05-28-2008 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I'm Bi-Bow! ONLY!

White Falcon 05-28-2008 09:52 PM

SEE what I mean!

White Falcon 05-28-2008 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Third time is a charm!

ACPOSSETIM 05-28-2008 11:46 PM

Gary,

Tony has a Gamemaster on order for me, I ordered a 60# hopefully I didn't over bow myself....I just like the extra weight for speed and energy.

I bought a couple used recurves from a buddies dad a few years back. One was an AMF that the limb broke on me while strung. The other was a bear of some sort 53# practiced a ton with it (50-60 arrows 4 times a week) and took it bear hunting with me. I shot a 315# boar with it, and got penetration to the feathers. I loved it, but am hesitant to take it to the whitetail woods....afraid I'd have a stud walk by at 30 yards and be out of range! I'm going to try bowfishing this spring to build up strength, then start practicing with it and maybe get the nerve to try it this fall.:confused:

Coodster 05-29-2008 12:28 AM

ACP, Have you had the chance to pull a gamemaster back??

They are heavier than marked, my 55# @ 28" marked gamemaster was pulling 58 @ 27.5" tried some 50# limbs and was 55# at my 27.5" draw.

I do like the looks of the new dorado. Just wish Hoyt would let you upgrade the limbs. Good bow and bullet proof.