Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Behind the Lens (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need help with camera settings! (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130)

bullmoose38 05-27-2008 09:02 AM

Need help with camera settings!

1 Attachment(s)
I dont know much about photography and what my settings should be with a still camera. Here is an example what settings would yo mess with to make this pic look good and not in a shadow. Thanks for the help!

firediver 05-27-2008 07:08 PM

What type of camera are you using??? Fully auto? Digital SLR?

Get closer to the subject and have him tip his hat back. Use a flash if you have one because it will override the sunlight and may help eliminate shadows.

Taking pictures in the bright sun can be a challenge. Maybe try to take the photo in the shade.

I'm no expert and this is "all I got" for ya'

PS....frame-focus-steady applies to still photography as well.

firediver 05-27-2008 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more thing.....you have the sun hitting the subject from the side. You should have the sun in his face. This would eliminate a lot of shadows. Just make sure your shadow isn't in frame.

As far as framing, I would pull in more like this.............

PS....don't worry, he shoots enough turkeys for you to get plenty of practice:)

bullmoose38 05-27-2008 07:37 PM

Thanks for the tips firediver. I will just have to play around with it a little more.

Monie 05-27-2008 07:47 PM

Kelly agrees with Firediver. She also said since everything is brown, it would have been better to put the bird on grass for contrast. If you're using film, go with 400 to 800. The higher the speed, the grainier it is. She said she usually uses 800. If it's digital, go with an outdoorsy mode.

bullmoose38 05-27-2008 07:51 PM

Thanks Monie im using a digital camera.

Colorado Rick 05-27-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monie (Post 13424)
Kelly agrees with Firediver. She also said since everything is brown, it would have been better to put the bird on grass for contrast. If you're using film, go with 400 to 800. The higher the speed, the grainier it is. She said she usually uses 800. If it's digital, go with an outdoorsy mode.

And just WHY is Miss Kelly not typing that herself???? Hmmmmmmmmm????

Monie 05-27-2008 10:59 PM

ummm...'cause I won't get out of the chair. :D

coca.drie 05-27-2008 11:11 PM

As a one time professional photographer I would use 100 to 200 speed film. Shutter speed & aputure would be what your meter reads. Using a flash is called fill flash & it fills in all the shadows with light. I use it all the time. Taking pictures in a shadow will give you softer more saturated colors & softer light. Using a fill flash will take care of the modeling. One of the biggest mistakes people make when taking a photograph is not getting down on the level of the subject being taken. The lower the camera angle the bigger the subject will be. Look at all the pictures in magazines & look how big the bear head look.
That is because of the camera angle & if it means laying down on the ground lay down on the ground. Make a smaller frame to cut down on the background & focus more on the subject. If its not auto focus then focus on the eyes. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me I would be glad to help.

firediver 05-27-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coca.drie (Post 13457)
I would use 100 to 200 speed film. .

That's what I was thinking......

My biggest pet peeve is when the photographer stands way too far away from the subject.