Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bow buying decision... Need Help!!! (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041)

Pixeldoctor 05-13-2008 06:58 AM

Bow buying decision... Need Help!!!

I am a dedicated Hoyt shooter and have been since I started shooting a bow and I have started hearing alot about Bowtech and the bows that they produce. I am shooting a Trykon right now and have got to know it like it is an extension of my arm but I am always looking for ways to improve my shooting and I have heard great things about the Katera and have been thinking about buying one until I got an offer to trade my TC Encore for a 07 Bowtech Guardian. After much research on both bows (both good and bad of course) I still cannot come to a conclusion on what to do. Is there any one out there that has shot both bows or any opinions on either bow? Something inside of me says to stay true and go with the Katera, and something says to try something new and go with the guardian...

bullmoose38 05-13-2008 08:26 AM

Jeff if you can shoot both do it! I personally like the Katera better. I shot some bowtechs and personally I hated the massive wall before it got to the letoff. By no means am I bashing Bowtech but my personal preference is the Katera. The Katera has it all quiet, smooth, fast, and forgiving. The only down side to some is the weight. Personally I like the extra weight it keeps me steadier at full draw. Like I said I would shoot both bows before making a choice. :)

Adam

Colorado Rick 05-13-2008 09:02 AM

I have the redhead Kryptik, made for Basspro by Bowtech. I had my eye on the Black Ice and the Rock, both by Diamond, and I agree with Bull... huge wall on both. I shot the Guardian, too, and then my friend says "Here. I just set this one up. Try it out and see what you think." It was the Kryptik. It's modeled after the Diamond Marquis, so I thought it was going to have the same issue, but it doesn't. Very smooth all the way back, and it doesn't have that suprise let off I noticed with the Rock especially, as the cams roll over. The first draw and shot I knew it was the bow for me, but I still took 2 weeks to get to the decision completely. I called Bowtech in the mean time and asked a ton of questions. They were very helpful and although I caught them at a bad time, they answered everything.

The other thing I noticed, and this purely personal observation, is the grip never felt right with the Black Ice and the Rock. It felt like I had this huge power above and below my hand, but this teeny little stick in my palm. I guess that sounds strange, but I never felt like I had control of the bow because the grip was too small.

I don't know squat about the Hoyt's other than the name is HUGE and carries a ton of respect, but the Kryptic was the bow for me.

oklahomabowhunter 05-13-2008 09:44 AM

before i bought my trykon, i shot a bow tech, wasn't the guardian, and a diamond black ice, and chose the trykon. this was my first hoyt bow, and i'm not knocking bow techs as these are excellent bows, but the hoyt shot better with less hand vib. actually my trykon has no hand shock at all and i can shot it open handed, with a wrist strap, and the bow doesn't move forward at all. i have been bowhuntin' for over 25 years and have owned alot of bows, and love my trykon, but not so much as to not want a katera, lol.

firediver 05-13-2008 10:20 AM

I was a big Trykon fan and didn't understand the negative press it was getting on many of the forums.....that was until I shot a Vectrix and then a Katera.

If you love the Trykon, shoot a Katera and the rest will be history!!!:)

Monie 05-14-2008 09:14 AM

Some Bowtech's do have some hand vibration and the valley on some can be pretty deep, one reason I don't like them. However, I do shoot the Diamond Liberty which, as most of you know, is made by Bowtech and I think it's a great bow simply because it's smooth to draw and feels darn good in the hand. I like a smooth draw and I'm not that worried about speed. If your form is poor and you can't hit a target, a fast bow won't help you.

With that being said, I do like the Hoyts. They fit really good in the hand and shoot really well. I, personally, love how comfortable they are to hold and to shoot. So, why'd I go with the Diamond instead of a Hoyt? Simple, it was all my archey shop carried and I wasn't about to pay $150 extra to get a Hoyt from the shop down the street. When asked why their prices were so high, the owner replied, "Because people pay it." :eek::rolleyes:

Like bullmoose said, if you have the opportunity to shoot both, do so.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Bow Drawn 05-16-2008 02:41 PM

Okay I like Mathews. There I said it. :D

I would suggest shooting one just to try. The DXT short ATA will fool you. It does not shoot like you would guess. The drenalin is also something to consider. And then there is the DLD, a bit longer ATA and feels very smooth. I shot the Katera this past January and a few other bows like the Bowtech line and they all shoot great. The bows I shot had very little to no vibration in them and it came down down to draw conditions and feel (grip) as it sat at full draw.
Anyone of these bows are top quality but end up with the DXT. The more I shoot it the more I'm pleased with my decision.

ACPOSSETIM 05-17-2008 12:45 AM

I shot a Mathews Legacy for about 5 years and loved it, shot it very well. I then bought a Trykon, and my 300 league scores went from 260's to upper 280's low 290's the first night I shot it for score and stayed that way. I was a instant convert! Like firediver, I had no problem with the Trykon the rollover was a little hard but you get used to it. I had no intentions of switching to a new bow -- until I shot the Katera! I now have a Katera on order, and can't wait to get my hands on it!!! I'm not saying Mathews doesn't make a good bow, I just shoot the Hoyts better, but shoot them all and see what fits you best.

Great White Hunter 05-19-2008 03:57 PM

Diamond Black Ice
(Diamond is made by Bowtech)

'Nuff said!:D

Arrowmike 06-02-2008 10:06 PM

Like mentioned try all the bows you can, they all have there + and -.

Personally I like the feel of the Mathews, for me my DLD is like an extension of my arm and even my bad shots are pretty good. I think Hoyt makes a good bow, I just donít like the feel as much and cams are a little harder but not bad. I have a lot of friends that shoot them and love them. Bowtech makes good bows if you like hard cams. Even PSE has some good stuff again, which really surprised me.